Thanks guys, i'll draw up a shortlist after visiting a few of them and get a feel for their workmanship and set-up...

I'll be going in with a 'rough' build spec of what i want in the van, so hopefully it'll give me an idea of the price between them when they quote up the conversion.
That's what I did - its surprising but I have now become conditioned to thinking £30k is a bit of a deal...:confused:

Three Bridge all the time, brand new workshop. Well worth the journey. We are excited every time we open our van door two years on. Great bunch who never tired of our silly question or at least didn’t tell us!

Another one for Three Bridge. I'm only in Eccles if you want to call round and have a look at the quality of the conversion

That's what I did - its surprising but I have now become conditioned to thinking £30k is a bit of a deal...:confused:

30K was my absolute maximum for the full conversion and for that I would want the off grid set up - 2 x Lithiums with Solar along with that sexy Alpine head unit.... so maybe some compromises will have to be made somewhere....

There's so many nice things to add though..! :)

Have decided to go with Lesiuredrive in Bolton. They started in 1969 and the founder Derek is still there! The rear galley kitchen/fixed wc, all in an SWB, did it for me. Picking up my new T6 from Listers in Coventry in a few days and driving it straight to Leisuredrive. Tim Shaw from Car SOS had his van converted by them and really sings their praises on his Youtube video.

30K was my absolute maximum for the full conversion and for that I would want the off grid set up - 2 x Lithiums with Solar along with that sexy Alpine head unit.... so maybe some compromises will have to be made somewhere....

There's so many nice things to add though..! :)
The thing to remember is that it all doesn't have to be done at one - heater, underslung gas with BBQ point and other things can be added later, better to focus on getting all the basics done well - at least that's what I'm telling myself!

Have decided to go with Lesiuredrive in Bolton. They started in 1969 and the founder Derek is still there! The rear galley kitchen/fixed wc, all in an SWB, did it for me. Picking up my new T6 from Listers in Coventry in a few days and driving it straight to Leisuredrive. Tim Shaw from Car SOS had his van converted by them and really sings their praises on his Youtube video.
Thought he used autohaus,
Tim Shaw Collects His Campervan - Autohaus

Freedom conversions in Chorley, all work carried out by Paul, the proprietor. He's a perfectionist and has a 1st rate reputation. Vw t mag did an article on one of his conversions to a caddy this week.

Thanks, I like the look of the conversions with Freedom... I will put him on the ever growing list of possible's…!

I am sending my build spec out to different converters for a rough estimate to start... that way any with over inflated prices avoids me a trip there...

The more realistic one's I will go and visit....

Thanks

Have decided to go with Lesiuredrive in Bolton. They started in 1969 and the founder Derek is still there! The rear galley kitchen/fixed wc, all in an SWB, did it for me.

I sent my T6 build spec to leisure drive and had the following reply back this morning.... not sure what they mean....

"Sorry this is not in our line as we build Leisuredrives and are bound by NCC and Type Approval Specs."

:confused:

I sent my T6 build spec to leisure drive and had the following reply back this morning.... not sure what they mean....

"Sorry this is not in our line as we build Leisuredrives and are bound by NCC and Type Approval Specs."

:confused:
There are plenty more to ask! And they wouldn't be in this trade if they weren't vw enthusiasts so im betting they are all pretty good at their work.

Yes, I think it's because they won't deviate from the parts or suppliers that they use.... So they are very rigid in their build spec...

Several more being asked to quote...

After visiting around 8 companies in the north west I ended up settling with one called AJC Conversions, Glossop, Derbyshire...

Came with a few recommends off people that are quite hard to please which said something in itself..

He prides himself on doing the work to a high standard, makes all the cupboards etc himself, rather than buy them in flat packed...

His workshop is clean, tidy, well laid out, templates well organised, everything to hand and he's happy to show you round and tell you all about the pro's and con's to some of your ideas..

Any ideas you've seen on other campers he will happily do for you and is open to whatever you want incorporating into your build... He's got a good order book with previous customers as far afield as London and the South coast...

The level of detail applied to the conversion also impressed me prep work included all sharp edges ground down and holes on the inside panelling covered prior to carpeting so as to prevent 'dirt spots' which show up where the holes are after a couple of years.... also re-routing some of the cabling rather than over flexing anything...

My conversion spec is quite high with Altofina hand made cupboards, Karndean flooring, Reimo roof, top spec RIB bed, bespoke leather upholstery, dual leisure batteries, 250W panel, ebarspacher etc... but because I have a 10+ year plan for the van, i'd rather pay a little extra and know it's done right first time.... Even with the build spec and extra's it's not too far north of 20K, Some companies for the same spec wanted nearer 30K, So pricewise i found them to be in the middle... 3 to 4 weeks duration for the complete conversion....

After visiting around 8 companies in the north west I ended up settling with one called AJC Conversions, Glossop, Derbyshire...

Came with a few recommends off people that are quite hard to please which said something in itself..

He prides himself on doing the work to a high standard, makes all the cupboards etc himself, rather than buy them in flat packed...

His workshop is clean, tidy, well laid out, templates well organised, everything to hand and he's happy to show you round and tell you all about the pro's and con's to some of your ideas..

Any ideas you've seen on other campers he will happily do for you and is open to whatever you want incorporating into your build... He's got a good order book with previous customers as far afield as London and the South coast...

The level of detail applied to the conversion also impressed me prep work included all sharp edges ground down and holes on the inside panelling covered prior to carpeting so as to prevent 'dirt spots' which show up where the holes are after a couple of years.... also re-routing some of the cabling rather than over flexing anything...

My conversion spec is quite high with Altofina hand made cupboards, Karndean flooring, Reimo roof, top spec RIB bed, bespoke leather upholstery, dual leisure batteries, 250W panel, ebarspacher etc... but because I have a 10+ year plan for the van, i'd rather pay a little extra and know it's done right first time.... Even with the build spec and extra's it's not too far north of 20K, Some companies for the same spec wanted nearer 30K, So pricewise i found them to be in the middle... 3 to 4 weeks duration for the complete conversion....

Makes me smile this post. Reading all the way through I'm thinking no one has mentioned AJC - I must have missed the post!

Then you confirm that's who you've gone with... A great decision - Andy's attention to detail and quality of fit is superb. Of course speaking from experience. The fact he has such a long waiting list tells you all.

Hi
Had my van converted by AJC 18 months ago. Standard-ish side conversion but wanted a few components and things to my spec, from previously owning a T5. I’d remembered him from the t5 forum years ago, but not heard much of him on here. Made an appointment and turned up with several pages of questions. Andy gave me loads of time (and brews...) and got back to me quickly with a price. I changed a few things as a result of his advice . Had a slight problem with a section of furniture board 6 months on and he sorted it with no bother. It’s a family affair who are very helpful and the lads in the clean workshop are chatty. Andy was happy to show me around the vans they were converting. They kept me up to date with progress, replied to emails and phone calls promptly. Genuinely decent.

I’m a collie owning fell runner doing daft stuff at all hours in the hills, so The van gets some hard use. All has been good and I wouldn’t hesitate to return in the future and to recommend.

Cheers
Matt

Back