Camper Build Down Under

GarryM

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Finally got to accept my T6 Transporter TDI400 LWB 132kW 4Motion.

It arrived after ordering it in December last year and the build spec was as follows.

Deep Ocean Paint / Titanium Black Trim Rough Road Suspension
Rear Differential Lock
Sliding Window (Centre Left)
Sliding Window (Centre Right)
RVC Incl Rear Sensors
2nd Battery
RHS Sliding Door
Driver Assist Package
Discover Media Sat Nav w/App
Interior Comfort Pack-Single Appearance Package
17" Alloys - Devonport
Rubber Floor In Cargo Area
Rubber Mats Front
Front Swivel Seats
Solid Windows Rear
VW Tow Bar
Front Leather with Heated seat

So now starts the transformation to a camper. Some will probably ask why not just buy a Californian or the like but there are none being delivered to Oz so its build your own.

First thing to do was start the process of adding sound deadener which I have done to the wheel arches and behind panels on the rear walls. That was this weekends job.

Next week it goes to a classic VW restoration shop to have a RCA pop top fitted.

IMG_0488.jpg IMG_0493.jpg IMG_0489.jpg

More photos at:
http://www.t6forum.com/media/albums/t6-camper-in-oz.8/

Last edited:
Wow,

Love the T6,
I've order a SWB silver, 4motion, with diff lock and bench seat, ordered in April, it's been a long long wait, hopefully 2-3 weeks to go, till I can pick up in Sydney !
How do you find the new Bi turbo motor ?
I like the colour, I went with silver as a safe/coolish colour but was tempted for a black for a modern A team van look !!, or the blue as a 2nd choice.
I'm looking to turn mine into a surf/dirt bike rig, so I can camp out off, looking forward to seeing your build unfold !

Tks Eddie,

Started on the pop top roof fit out today. In doing that, and having to paint the pop top and the whole cut out area anyway, I am going to paint the top half of the vehicle in a lighter blue similar to the Euro Californian dual coloured vans. Have not given the biturbo and stick at this point, will let it bed in for 1000k before seeing how well it goes.

I have also ordered a 1100mm wide by 1500mm deep cargo slide that I am going to fit in to the back and mount the extra wide Rock and Roll bed/seat I have got in from Cambee UK. on to it. The intention is to be able to sleep internal in the van if wanted but in a warmer climate, have the ability to slide the bed out the back with the rear door up and canvas walls around the slide attached to the open door using velcro. Definitely a work in progress and planning out side the normal box.

Garry

Last edited:
Wow would love to see pictures of that when it's done.

Haa,

I think it would be hard to do with a shinny new van, looking forward to the up coming pictures, well done !

Getting some paint on today, photos of interior that looks like a bomb has hit to be posted tomorrow.

14159350_10154409017986753_1113471047_n.jpg 14159743_10154409017981753_389447032_n.jpg

Been working on the van again today, putting in spray sound deadener then more sheet sound deadener in the rear panels and doors. Wires everywhere at the moment and blew a couple of fuses. need to tape up wires out of the way. Pop top works just fine. Was good advice on greasing lock mechanisms. It made a world of difference unlocking and relocking.IMG_0516.jpgIMG_0511.jpgIMG_0512.jpgIMG_0509.jpgIMG_0510.jpg

Jobs for the weekend. Start fitting a cargo slide in the rear half of the van. I am setting it up so it can slide out the rear about 1300mm and is 1100mm wide. I am then going to fit the Rock and Roll bed/seat from Cambee UK onto after it is upholstered so that it can either be used inside the van as a bed or seat with the rear door closed or can slide out the back under the raised door as a bed. I am having canvas walls with zippered windows, fixed to the raised door that velcro under the slide thus making a rear bed area half out side the van but under the rear door. A work in progress at this point.

.Cargo Slide for T6.jpgR n R Bed Cambee.jpg

Looking good mate.

I really want to see your slide out bed arrangement. That sounds like it has great commercial potential.

Looking good mate.

I really want to see your slide out bed arrangement. That sounds like it has great commercial potential.

The slide out the back is the easy one and does not require any major engineering. I have been working on designing a kitchen unit fitted to the drivers side sliding door. Door will no longer slide but will move out at 90 degrees to the van with hard roof and side walls and floor. Like a Caravan slide out unit, just with the striped out door attached. Having some difficulty with the engineering though and not sure what it is going to end up as.

Did some trials with the Cambee bed and a local cargo slide. Bed boards are a bit wide at the moment at 1300mm and will probably reduce to 1200mm and the slide needs a lock out mechanism to be able to stop at various positions. It still needs to be bolted to the floor and I am going to see if I can use the tie down rings for this. Off to the upholsterers next week for the seat/bed.

IMG_0520.jpgIMG_0522.jpgIMG_0526.jpgIMG_0524.jpgIMG_0535.jpg IMG_0521.jpg

The slides are going to have to be pretty butch to support the bed when it is pulled out. The locking mechanism is going to have to be similarly robust to withstand a crash to be safe for anyone travelling in the seat and not come forward and hit the front seat passengers.

I am not planning to certify the seat for driving although it is certified if I just bolted it to the floor and the slide has a bar welded across the front to stop any further forward movement, the problem is locking it in the open position. Its rated for 300kg evenly spread in full open.

Have been working on the rear sliding bed for the camper. Have fitted the slide unit to the existing ring lock fixing mounts and bolted the newly leather covered bed to the slide out unit then made the canvas rear covering tent unit for when the bed is in the slide ‘out’ position. Have also fitted a stretch netting rack above seats to contain the pop top canvas when the roof is closed that can also be used for some light storage in either open or closed top. Have wired up LEDs and lined the interior completely and now need to start on cabinetry for beside the bed. I still have not fully worked out how I am going to fit a sliding kitchen unit on the the drivers side sliding door or make it into a lifting door and a swing out kitchen.

ReR back canvic under IMG_4246.jpg Upper streatch rack.jpg Upper streatch race from under.jpg Upper streatched rack lowered.jpg slide bed our from interior.jpg Interior from rear inside with bed out.jpg Rear interior door up.jpg

Last edited:
Back