Cambelt + Water Pump Replacement - Official guidance

you ready for this... my 2018 t32 has done.... 8 thousand miles
its more of an expensive ornament...think its moved ten foot in 3 months...

what are we saying now on the belt and pump then? as i was under the impression i was well overdue on time.. definately not miles... lol
Well I recently changed the timing belt on a 69 plate Ducato motorhome with just over 7k on it (chassis built late 2017). Visually the belt looked great, but it had definitely stiffened up a little bit through aging as it kept the shape of the pulleys it had been wrapped around.

I only changed the belt though, the pulley bearings and water pump were fine so it only set me back £40 and a few hours of my time.

After reading several posts re cam belts for T6 it was getting me a bit worried. My T6 campervan has only 16,600miles on the clock.
It was registered 22 Oct 68 (5.5 years).
I had today decided to to take cautious route and get a price from Lookers Commercial ,Glasgow to get the cam belt done. I called Lookers commercial and they told me 140,000 miles and NO time limit and that it didn't need doing.
Nice bloke on phone told me this information was updated 6 months ago.

Glasgow commercial is the best garage so far I have experience with. If you want the belt done at more reasonable price you can try burnside motor engineering. Great mechanics there and looked after my T5 very well.

Took mine in for annual service today and they confirmed that there is no longer any date (i.e. 4 years) for the cambelt service, Result ! On the down side current mileage is 38,7k and the DSG service should be at 38k so getting that done whilst its in, bummer....

£785 inc vat for Cambelt, Aux belt and DSG oil and filter change.. soooo much cheaper than the VW main stealers.. shout out to Denbury Diesel’s Newton Abbot.
I’m on 130k now, oil change with flush every 10k by myself and fingers crossed for the next 100k

I'm in UK, have had a T6 for around 6yrs, we got it ex display had 3k on clock. And I was told I had to have the cam belt changed every 4yrs now. As its dependent on time for decay on a rubber belt, not mileage and to stop them going during rigorous testing in MOTs? Is this balderdash?

I'm in UK, have had a T6 for around 6yrs, we got it ex display had 3k on clock. And I was told I had to have the cam belt changed every 4yrs now. As its dependent on time for decay on a rubber belt, not mileage and to stop them going during rigorous testing in MOTs? Is this balderdash?

Welcome to the Forum!
Recent changes in the guidance from VW UK now states that the cam belt doesn't need changing until you've driven for (I think) 130K miles, with no time limit.
Read posts 726 and onwards for best information.
The myth about the belt failing during rigorous MOT testing is proved to be nonsense because if the vehicle is in neutral (as it would be for emissions test) it won't rev past 2500 revs anyway, hardly rigorous.
Enjoy your van.

Back