Cam Belt. What Else ?

Petehelmet

T6 Guru
So booked my van in for a Cam belt in a weeks time as it has now covered 83k, what else would you recommend doing now it’s out of warranty and the VW muppets won’t be working on it.

See attached

Attachments

• Service_scedule_additional.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 83
I thought it was 80k or 4 years for the cam belt, mine is just about to trip over 75k after 3 years, just out of warranty too and now starting to worry.

Ah well, will get it booked in for the change at my local non franchise garage.

7BBEB523-0043-45F5-93A0-36183AEF2366.jpeg Well this should be a warning to anyone thinking of leaving there Cam belt as to the state of mine, hopefully you can see from picture , like this in several places, apparently there is an issue with the Gates Cam belt that VW used. Not sure if this was changed to Gates when they did the cylinder head at 30k or it’s the original

Last edited:
View attachment 56826 Well this should be a warning to anyone thinking of leaving there Cam belt as to the state of mine, hopefully you can see from picture , like this in several places, apparently there is an issue with the Gates Cam belt that VW used. Not sure if this was changed to Gates when they did the cylinder head at 30k or it’s the original
That is almost certainly a result of when the technicians were doing the cylinder head work unless a loose stone has been thrown behind the cover (I've read of similar issues for vehicles without a plastic under engine tray) I'm 99% sure Gates are VAG factory fit and when I come to change mine it will be replaced by a Gates belt.

Interestingly, cars fitted with the same TDi CR engine are recommended at five years if going by time rather than mileage.

That is almost certainly a result of when the technicians were doing the cylinder head work unless a loose stone has been thrown behind the cover (I've read of similar issues for vehicles without a plastic under engine tray) I'm 99% sure Gates are VAG factory fit and when I come to change mine it will be replaced by a Gates belt.

Interestingly, cars fitted with the same TDi CR engine are recommended at five years if going by time rather than mileage.

That would make sense as mine didn’t have an engine under tray until 6 months back when I fitted one, my mates van also never had one which was probably a contribution to his break.

Good morning all,

I'm going to be replacing the water pump and timing belt on my 2017 T6 this week and I wondered if anyone has any information including torque settings etc. Is there an online workshop manual available?
Thanks in advance all.

Back