Cam Belt Re-call

@toonaroon I noticed it about 30k miles a year ago but just thought it was normal and I hadn’t take much notice but it did seem to be getting more obvious lately. I did both belts and all pulleys this weekend at 41k miles and the noise is away.
Thanks @Smr72 that info may be of use on this post...

Had a call about mine needing the Belt changing. Do they do pulleys etc like a proper job or literally just the belt?

March 2017 registered 150ps
Knowing VW probably just the belt, but would be interesting to know!!

Just to add a little to this thread.

I had become slightly concearned that my van, being registered in early Feb 2017 might fall under this campaign/recall, so after ringing my local VW dealer, who confirmed my van was not affected, I nipped the cambelt cover off and have a VW/Contitech belt fitted.

I also noted the date on the cambelt cover, which I pressume was the engine build date.

IMG_20200128_185540005.jpg IMG_20200128_184905219.jpg

.. è stato difficile rimuovere la protezione della cintura? .... Come hai fatto? ... devi spingere le linguette verso il basso con un cacciavite ed estrarle? .. non l'ho ancora fatto e non vorrei spezzare le schede ...

. Was it difficult to remove the belt guard? .... How did you do? ... do you have to push the tabs down with a screwdriver and pull them out? .. I haven't done it yet and I wouldn't break the tabs
Not difficult, there are two tabs on the right of the cover, one at the top one at the front, lever the tab to the right to clear the cover and pull it up.

Non è difficile, ci sono due linguette sulla destra del coperchio, una nella parte superiore nella parte anteriore, fai leva sulla linguetta a destra per liberare il coperchio e tirarlo verso l'alto.

stamattina ho verificato quale cintura è montata sulla mia Cali ... sembra una Continental ... non dovrei avere problemi allora?

8C234B4B-2A2C-483E-A90B-80FE21BD55FC.jpeg

.... hooray .... it remains to be seen if the belt replacement must be carried out after four years anyway .... my Cali will have four years of life next November and I assume no more than 40 thousand km .. ... visually now the belt is in excellent condition, without any trace of dust ....

Check your local specifications, for some reason the UK often has different service specifications to the Europe mainland but here it is 4 years regardless of Km's.

So are VW supposed to be contacting us, or hoping we don’t know so they can cash in ?

Mine is a 67 plate T32 150 bhp..... do I need to get my hands dirty?

Thanks

I think VW assume that your van will visit a dealer for a service within a suitable time frame to catch any issue before it is able to develop into a fault. Obviously low use Van's will rarely visit a dealer but then any fault shouldn't get too bad while it is sat.
What that means for people who use independent garages is another matter. Perhaps there is section in the small print when you buy new but if not I wonder what the legal obligation is to notify us....
Class action anyone?

... VW should have informed the owners of T6 with Gates belt even if, and above all, those like me out of warranty .... I went to the local dealer and they refused to check the belt even though I had received the official VW reminder letter. Their refusal is motivated by the fact that I have never made the previous calls regarding the updating of the engine control unit, the roof gasket and the Adblue call. I don't get incompetent people to get my hands on the vehicle. I got by myself, thanks to the advice of the Forum and luckily my belt is a Contitech .... thanks to this wonderful Forum !!

Would the dealers way of thinking be that vans may have been sold on, therefor no way to contact new owners???
Like I have said, I was not contacted, it was only when inquiring about something else that I was told!!!

If in doubt contact the dealer.....

Would the dealers way of thinking be that vans may have been sold on, therefor no way to contact new owners??

This recall issue has always amused me with motor manufacturers. They are in pretty unique position, compared to other products, where they have the serial number (i.e. VIN) on every V5 with the details of the owner and location of every vehicle.

.... dear friends ... it is indecent that VW does not know, or pretends not to know .., which belt or product has mounted on the engine ... there are labels, barcodes everywhere and they want to know from us everything, telephone number, email, especially the credit card number ... here we wish them happy intestinal incontinence

I've got a 4 year old Euro 5 140 T6, I was hoping it was subject to the cam belt recall, phoned the VW van centre at Northampton, he says "No sir, your vehicle wasn't affected by that recall", I thinks "Damn, gotta pay for it myself". o_Oo_Oo_O

I've got a 4 year old Euro 5 140 T6, I was hoping it was subject to the cam belt recall, phoned the VW van centre at Northampton, he says "No sir, your vehicle wasn't affected by that recall", I thinks "Damn, gotta pay for it myself". o_Oo_Oo_O
Snap just done exactly the same, so just booked mine in for cam belt, full service, and DSG oil change :cry:£££££

I've got a 4 year old Euro 5 140 T6, I was hoping it was subject to the cam belt recall......

I have just had the belts changed on my January 2016 registered Euro 5 140 LWB Kombi. I wasn't aware of the recall but then it had a Contitech belt anyway. Annoyingly everything was in excellent condition but it's done now and shouldn't need looking at again in my ownership!

Back