Cam Belt Re-call

I have just dropped mine in for a service, the guys at SMG Tonbridge confirmed it's a Gates Timing belt. He even showed me the recall which stated a Gates Toothed Cam Belt.
Not sure if mine has it, guess I find out when I pick it up :thumbsup:
Fingers crossed mate, but either way, better than the Snap,Crackle,Crunch....

Hi @$immo. Mine is going in to SMG at Tonbridge for its annual service and first MOT in three weeks time. As the VW warranty will also be up, I am keen that they do any recall work - will mention the Gates timing belt, thanks for the heads up!

I am also hoping they will change the drivers door seal as it is showing rust (seen this on another thread).

Did they mention anything about doing the Adblue software update too?

Cheers,

Andy

Hi @$immo. Mine is going in to SMG at Tonbridge for its annual service and first MOT in three weeks time. As the VW warranty will also be up, I am keen that they do any recall work - will mention the Gates timing belt, thanks for the heads up!

I am also hoping they will change the drivers door seal as it is showing rust (seen this on another thread).

Cheers,

Andy

Mine's 14 months older than yours, but confirmed that my cambelt is not affected. It's going in to Vantech VW in Uckfield www.vantechvw.co.uk for:

Cambelt kit inc rollers, water pump and labour £320 plus vat
Full service £190 plus vat
Multi belt £24.07 +vat

All using genuine parts

Cheers,

Andy
No mention of any software update. See attached confirmation of the Cambelt change. @Noddy996 you can climb all over the 6.1 caravelle, Cali ,Kombi & PV they have in the showroom. :thumbsup:
IMG_20200124_170504__01.jpg

Wow, that is well priced compared to the main dealers @widu13. Have you used them before?

Thanks for that @$immo, will definitely have a look at the 6.1, not seen one in the flesh yet...Dopey question, but if you have had the cam belt done now you obviously won’t need it doing at 4 years do you? (just replace the water pump?)...

Wow, that is well priced compared to the main dealers @widu13. Have you used them before?

Thanks for that @$immo, will definitely have a look at the 6.1, not seen one in the flesh yet...Dopey question, but if you have had the cam belt done now you obviously won’t need it doing at 4 years do you? (just replace the water pump?)...
That's what they said, my 4 years for a replacement starts from today. So that's a bonus.

Can’t find an independent that I trust locally, so am really tempted to go there next year @widu13. Would appreciate your feedback on them after you have had the work done. Cheers, Andy

Assuming the garage doesn't use a chisel and angle grinder to remove the parts and randomly pours a litre of oil around the engine bay, unless you're stood over them whilst they work on the van you're not really going to tell if it's a good job or not. Normal engine servicing and replacement of the cam belt, water pump etc is a very simple job on these engines and there is lots of clearance making it easier on the Transporter than say the equivalent engine in a Yeti (I use that example based on first hand experience and it will apply to the Golf etc). Most people will have a local garage that is more than competent to do this basic servicing at a much better rate than the main dealer.

The trick as always is finding a trusted spanner twirler. I did have a mobile one would was flat rate and did the job until it was finished and in all weathers, but he moved away. I'm reasonably competent on the basic stuff like servicing and then know it's done properly, but without a lift lots of work is so much more awkward. Doing my boys sized brake nipples was made so much more difficult just because I was hunched over doing the damned things.

So is this a recall, and will the effected ones get a phone call or letter for the work to be done? If its out of warranty which mine is will it still be covered?
Only asking because mine is 4y old in march, which is when it will be done anyhow.

Mine was 4 years old on 31/12/19 and was NOT affected by the recall. Mine was a new build at registration as I have parts dated 11/15.

So is this a recall, and will the effected ones get a phone call or letter for the work to be done? If its out of warranty which mine is will it still be covered?
Only asking because mine is 4y old in march, which is when it will be done anyhow.
They never contacted me mate, it was just me calling them about add blue...

So far, with what info we have, there are three types of cam belt, a Gates, a Dayco, and a Contitech, and according to Simmo it's looking as though the Field Campaign is for the Gates belt, and it is certain VINs that are effected, so please check your belt and / or your VIN and if you are in doubt contact your Dealer..

Just to add something of my own issue, I contacted vw a while back and was told mine didn’t come under the service campaign I was getting the various belt squealing noises that everyone is complaining about. Although I had a dayco aux belt and contitech cam belt, I replaced all pulleys, water pump and tensioner and the noise has disappeared. So although there is a gates belt issue the tensioner and pulleys I would think are common to all.

Just to add something of my own issue, I contacted vw a while back and was told mine didn’t come under the service campaign I was getting the various belt squealing noises that everyone is complaining about. Although I had a dayco aux belt and contitech cam belt, I replaced all pulleys, water pump and tensioner and the noise has disappeared. So although there is a gates belt issue the tensioner and pulleys I would think are common to all.
Just out of interest @Smr72 what millage had you clocked when you noticed the noises, and at what millage did you do the replacements, thanks.

@toonaroon I noticed it about 30k miles a year ago but just thought it was normal and I hadn’t take much notice but it did seem to be getting more obvious lately. I did both belts and all pulleys this weekend at 41k miles and the noise is away.

Had a call about mine needing the Belt changing. Do they do pulleys etc like a proper job or literally just the belt?

March 2017 registered 150ps

Back