Cali tail gate struts

Discussion in 'Interiors, Seating, Lining' started by B19DRG, 13 Feb 2018.

1. B19DRG

B19DRG Senior Member T6 Pro

hi does anyone have a part number for the uprated tail gate struts from a California as had my tailgate lined Etc and it’s a bit heavy ! Cheers , Dan

2. spook

spook ONE LOVE ONE LIFE VIP Member T6 Guru

VW Transporter T6 Caravelle Uprated Bike Rack Gas Strut with a 2 year warranty and new fixings. Replaces part number(s) 7E0827550D

3. spook

spook ONE LOVE ONE LIFE VIP Member T6 Guru

4. superflyguy

superflyguy Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Forum shop :thumbsup:
    I'm not a fan of the SGS struts I have fitted, not finished off as well as vw, and they creak loudly when opening the tailgate.

5. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Does anyone know if the Cali (or any other) struts are the same length? I could do with my tailgate opening a bit higher... it’ll only be a matter of time before I crack my head on it!

6. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    They are all the same length
    Pair Of Genuine VW T6 Tailgate Gas Struts
    7E0827550B - Standard strut 900 N
    7E0827550C - Caravelle strut 985N
    7E0827550D - California strut 1200N
    Please note these part numbers are for standard vans/kombis/caravelles and do not fit californias

B19DRG likes this.
  7. B19DRG

Would the California strut be overkill for a tailgate ? Don’t wanna get the caravalelle and it not be ok ?

8. Pauly

Pauly Senior Member VCDS User Admin Moderator

Map
    The Cali 1200 unit is very strong and takes a large amount of force to close it without a bike rack on (have to use a bit of body weight to get it down)
    If you have put sound deadening etc in there and its a bit weak i would go with the 985 units but its all down to how much weight you have added (bike rack is circa 14kgs)

B19DRG likes this.
  9. Loz

Loz California 204 DSG 4Motion MY17 VCDS User Admin Moderator VIP Member

Map
    Mines okay without bikes as long as you don’t leave it up in the sun then they are almost impossible to get down..

BiTurbo and B19DRG like this.
  10. B19DRG

Thanks guys I’m a little bit confused, guess I’ll go with the 985 , hope that works ok

Fish likes this.
  11. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

I uprated mine to 985 and regret it a bit as it can still sag just slightly and I occasionaly crack my head on the corner. I don't have a bike rack, just lots of stuff like grip mats, ramps and little shovel plus sound deadening stuck to it so I'm thinking the 1200N Cali struts might be a bit overkill. I think I'm going to order them and fit one 1200 and one 985 as a compromise and see if it works.

Nick-C likes this.
  12. StudleyGlass

StudleyGlass 150 DSG Kombi Highline VCDS User Moderator VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I have upgraded to 985s on my kombi tailgate because i have fitted a lot of sound deadening and fitted the vw interior covers. They do work ok but i agree with @andys you still need to careful and make sure it is fully up so you dont knock yourself out :(....maybe 1200N one side and a 985 the other would work ok but i would be worried about the imbalance when closing them as it my twist the tailgate with different forces on either side ?

13. B19DRG

Got the 985’s fitted , work out just fine

14. andys

andys Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Yes that was my worry. I'm thinking I could close it with more pressure on the 1200N side but I don't know how it'll work, I'll report back

StudleyGlass likes this.
  15. Ads_Essex

Ads_Essex Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I think I should have realised - my tailgate conversion relies on aftermarket parts made for a T5, and apparently the struts are longer on a T5 compared to the T6, so that’ll be why my tailgate isn’t, erm, fully erect.