Cadac Safari Chef and wind

Rich07

I've got a Cadac Safari Chef 2 (LP) attached to a Coleman butane/propane mix C500 gas cartridge via a Cadac 28 Mbar regulator and hose- I'm using it outside in slightly windy conditions and am unable to boil water due to the cadac not getting hot enough. I can boil water using same gas cannister in same conditions my Vango compact stove.

Do I have a faulty unit/setup combination or is this normal performance do you think?

Cheers,

Rich

I also have a Safari Chef 2 and suffered with breeze blowing the heat away so I purchased a very short 3' wind break from Towsure that just wraps around the Cadac on the ground and takes up no space on the van. Works a treat.

PS the pizza stone works great and is worth every penny!

20190615_181355.jpg

Thanks for the reply mate, I cant wait to try the pizza stone! I've moved the Cadac into the back of the van out of the wind at it works much better.

I always use the grease now thing even when boiling the kettle.

What is this mate?

I'm wondering whether the Cadac would work better with propane and 37mbar regulator instead of the butane/propane cannister mix with 28mbar regulator.

Don't get me wrong its been awsome for cooking this weekend but could do with it being better at boiling water and better in wind

Last edited:
Appreciate you've already got a cooking solution but I've got a jetboil flash 2.0 that I use as much in the van as I do when out hiking, it will boil a pint of water in around a minute and is really portable, great when you want a brew quickly, there's a cafetiere accessory if you like decent coffee too

What is this mate?

I'm wondering whether the Cadac would work better with propane and 37mbar regulator instead of the butane/propane cannister mix with 28mbar regulator.

Don't get me wrong its been awsome for cooking this weekend but could do with it being better at boiling water and better in wind
upload_2019-7-22_8-12-47.jpeg
4th bit down it acts like a bit of a wind break, it catches the grease when cooking on the bbq bit.

We've been away this weekend at the Rutland Meet - had the above unit and inclement weather.
No issues running off a single cartridge cylinder.
As @Critch - use the grease catcher/skirt and no issues with wind.
Boiled a kettle in ok time and cooked all meals on it with ease.

Heads up - go outdoors no longer exchange, refill or supply campingaz 901 bottles. They wouldn't even take mine back empty and give me my deposit back on saturday.
Correct, im not amused.
Save yourselves a trip to go outdoors if you are thinking of exchanging your 901 like me!!

Appreciate you've already got a cooking solution but I've got a jetboil flash 2.0 that I use as much in the van as I do when out hiking, it will boil a pint of water in around a minute and is really portable, great when you want a brew quickly, there's a cafetiere accessory if you like decent coffee too

Cheers for the tip, I'll pick one up. Like the idea of a cafetiere

Heads up - go outdoors no longer exchange, refill or supply campingaz 901 bottles. They wouldn't even take mine back empty and give me my deposit back on saturday.
Correct, im not amused.
Save yourselves a trip to go outdoors if you are thinking of exchanging your 901 like me!!

I’ve just checked Campingaz site and it seems the 901 is discontinued....bugger. I’m running the van on them.

Almost identical to the Jetboil, but under half the price.
I keep a Jetboil in the van, along with a bottle of water and coffee.

I've been using my Safari Chef 2 with a propane bottle this week, no better than with a C500 cannister takes ages to boil water in a slight breeze (i.e. for pasta or a kettle).
However seriously impressed with it for everything else, makes really good pizzas with the stone (better than my oven at home) and the griddle is spot on for meat/fish/veggies

To get the kettle to boil quicker you'll need to stick the cadac behind a windbreak of some sort.

Back