Cable Routing (media Unit -> Rear)

Max Palmer

I would like to retrofit rear speakers to a T6 conversion done by Cascade (big mistake not to have gone for the speakers originally as the kids can't hear their music in the back without turning up the volume a lot). As it's post conversion, cable routing will be a bit more difficult. I think I'm content once the cable is at the roof section (either passenger or driver side above the chairs) to route the cables for speakers along the edge of the cut out roof and not go 'inside' the van as you won't really notice them. However, what is the best route to get the rear speaker cables from the media unit to this location. Reading other threads, people seem to go across to the passenger pillar and then up this (via the glovebox) and then where? Can some give a more detailed description of how you would feed cables through this route and what you would need to remove (trim wise) to do this?

Also, has anyone got any recommendations for very low profile rear speakers,
that might be even thinner than these Pioneers that people recommend? I'm thinking about mounting these in one of the roof boards:
Pioneer TS G1732i
These have a depth of 24mm when mounted, which would protrude slightly.
Pioneer TS G1732i 2-Way Coaxial Car Door Speakers [6.5"Inch 17cm 240WEach Pair] | Sustuu

Alternatively, I might go for the 'pods' at skipton audio. Although I'm not totally convinced about the appearance.
rear speaker pods

Are there any general guides to cable routing in vans and how to remove various bits of trim to do this?

Cascade is a lovely conversion BTW.

Thanks,

Max

I'm after a few more details on getting cables from the back of the media unit via the glovebox to then go up the A pillar. Has anyone got photos?

Also, being a complete novice what is the cavity that runs along the side of the van at roof level called and how might you get a cable out of it at the rear of the van? Are there likely to be blockages en route?

I would like to retrofit rear speakers to a T6 conversion done by Cascade (big mistake not to have gone for the speakers originally as the kids can't hear their music in the back without turning up the volume a lot). As it's post conversion, cable routing will be a bit more difficult. I think I'm content once the cable is at the roof section (either passenger or driver side above the chairs) to route the cables for speakers along the edge of the cut out roof and not go 'inside' the van as you won't really notice them. However, what is the best route to get the rear speaker cables from the media unit to this location. Reading other threads, people seem to go across to the passenger pillar and then up this (via the glovebox) and then where? Can some give a more detailed description of how you would feed cables through this route and what you would need to remove (trim wise) to do this?

Also, has anyone got any recommendations for very low profile rear speakers,
that might be even thinner than these Pioneers that people recommend? I'm thinking about mounting these in one of the roof boards:
Pioneer TS G1732i
These have a depth of 24mm when mounted, which would protrude slightly.
Pioneer TS G1732i 2-Way Coaxial Car Door Speakers [6.5"Inch 17cm 240WEach Pair] | Sustuu

Alternatively, I might go for the 'pods' at skipton audio. Although I'm not totally convinced about the appearance.
rear speaker pods

Are there any general guides to cable routing in vans and how to remove various bits of trim to do this?

Cascade is a lovely conversion BTW.

Thanks,

Max

I've just noticed it was a cascade conversion - just about to have mine done, what options are there for the rear as I would get Rob to do the cables during the build. I am looking at the Skipton mounted options but have asked on here about switching it to rear only for a tv input - maybe asking too much and just output to stereo from tv.

James1000, the cascade conversion has been great for us and we're really happy. Rob is super helpful. I'm sure if you ask he'd run a cable to the back for you during conversion. I wish we had done this.

Here's the route I see for the speaker cable (red would be good, but blue is an option (i.e. running the cable along the top by the bed boards, not internal to the van). I just don't know how accessible certain parts of this route are post conversion.

People talk about a route from the back of the media unit, across to the glovebox, up the A pillar - and then where?

Also would you attempt to feed a cable back from the end point at the rear of the van along the red dotted path in the last image? (i.e. drill a hole, use some sort of electrical cable fishing in tool to work back from that point to the front and use that to pull the speaker cable back through). What's the best tool to do this? What's the name of that section of the van and can I expect any obstructions feeding it back through?

Has anyone used the Skipton audio rear speaker pods shown in the link? If so, what's the feedback?

Thanks.

Speaker Wire Route.jpg

Running any cables through the roof capping on the passenger side will be nigh on impossible. The vehicle loom is running through there and snakes about denying you a clear run to get any additional wiring in. it might also be very difficult to get access to it at the back of the van depending on how the roof fitter has done the job.

Back