Cab Vibrations On 2018 Highline. Engine Missing Mounting Bolt?

LT2019

T6 Pro
Hi All!

New to this forum, picked up a T6 2018 Highline 102PS 10k on the clock.

Been driving a transit custom ltd for a month prior with no issues.

I feel there is extensive vibration through pedals/steering wheel/gear stick, ie all main contact points.

I am not car mechanic, but popped the bonnet and checked out the engine when running idle, seems like it could be missing a mounting bolt bottom right? See attached picture? Engine and surrounding hoses are vibrating a fair bit, without comparing to another T6 I not sure if this is normal!

Gutted at the moment, as been after a T6 for years, finally took the plunge and not happy with the vibrations, doesn't make for a comfortable ride.

Got it booked into VW, in a few weeks. However would like to confirm is there is a missing engine mounting bolt.

It would be awesome to know in advance if this could be the issue, and to check if further damage could be done by driving without this bolt? Thanks!
engine far.jpgengine close.jpg engine close.jpgengine far.jpg

Welcome to the forum, just had a look at mine. I have no bolt on the yellow circle area either. Although it does look like there should be one, i think the unit is designed to sit in at different positions on different vehicles. I could be completely wrong and i have been on many occasions. But my configuration is exactly the same as yours.

Are you sure it's not a wheel balance issue or a tyre flat spot etc, does it get worse the faster you go?

They aren't the smoothest of diesel engines, but I've had worse.

@gal2009 damn was hoping that wasn't the case! Having a bolt in that position would reduce the engine vibration! I filmed the engine at idle in slow mo @240fps and it does move/vibrate a fair bit!

@Insert Coin its seems independent of speed. Even at idle, I think there is excessive vibration..well compared to the transit and other vans/vehicles I have driven. I can't believe the transporter isn't as refined as a transit!

When hovering over the brake and acceleration pedals, I can feel it. It makes my lower leg go slightly numb due to vibrations!

The Transit engine is pretty smooth and they do drive well, I've got 4 of them at work, bloody awful in every other way though.

What's the tickover rpm?

Yes, the T6 feels more car like and better in corners and over speeds bumps for sure etc. Transit was bumpy as hell, had to take speeds bumps @10mph! Miss all the drink holders though!

Tickover rpm? Sitting idle on drive? I'll check shortly and post.

Have you asked the dealer to look at it? I know some can be a pain but as you have only just got it and it is well under warranty, they should at least take a look at it.

Hi All!

New to this forum, picked up a T6 2018 Highline 102PS 10k on the clock.

Been driving a transit custom ltd for a month prior with no issues.

I feel there is extensive vibration through pedals/steering wheel/gear stick, ie all main contact points.

I am not car mechanic, but popped the bonnet and checked out the engine when running idle, seems like it could be missing a mounting bolt bottom right? See attached picture? Engine and surrounding hoses are vibrating a fair bit, without comparing to another T6 I not sure if this is normal!

Gutted at the moment, as been after a T6 for years, finally took the plunge and not happy with the vibrations, doesn't make for a comfortable ride.

Got it booked into VW, in a few weeks. However would like to confirm is there is a missing engine mounting bolt.

It would be awesome to know in advance if this could be the issue, and to check if further damage could be done by driving without this bolt? Thanks!
View attachment 36909View attachment 36910 View attachment 36910View attachment 36909

Welcome to T6F =]

those pics you took show the water cooled, charge air cooler, that is not part of the engine-mounts.

engine mounts are at the bottom front and rear, also over to the left.

there are no balance shafts in the 75kw (they help reduce engine vibration but are on the higher kW models) . . . .so you will need to compare it to a similar van/engine to see if the vibration you feel is normal or if you have a further issue.

The T6 Vehicle SSP-561

VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum

1.jpg

Last edited:
55C74D81-C6A2-4D51-82B1-8D41E21A902E.jpeg Idle revs. It’s a 102ps.
Booked in with dealer in a few weeks. It’s killing me not knowing if they can fix it, got a garage load of mods ready to be fitted!
Going to drive to another dealer and see if I can test drive a brand new 102 highline to compare.

Took it to the local dealer, they changed battery, tailgate mechanism and heatbox under warranty, but could not diagnose the cab vibration. I asked them to check wheel alignment, but it still pulls to the left and un-acceptable cab vibration is still there for a 22k van!

Even at idle if you hold the steering wheel at the bottom edge there is enough vibration to feel through hands and forearms - this increases discomfort/driver fatigue on longer travels and town traffic. Not having driven a transporter before and only transits, which I've had no issue with I'm really disappointed and not sure I can love with it. Is this inherent to the 5 speed 102 or all transporters? I know in the press reviews the t5 got slammed for cab noise/vibration, but the t6 is meant to be more refined. Suppose it is based on a 2015 platform now, so will the T6.1 be a major improvement is this area?

Anyone used silentcoat in the cab/bonnet/engine area with much success? Can't believe I'm the only one who thinks the cab vibration is pretty poor for a premium van.

I’ve got a 27k mile highline 102, and I don’t notice any particular vibration at idle, but people have different opinions as to what’s ‘normal’. Have you managed to drive an alternative 102ps?

Can you get a loaner for an hour from the dealer? Stuff like this can be subjective, but it must be worth driving another T6 to confirm that there's an issue.

I did take out a 102 t6 for a quick ten minute spin, but was with rep, so it wasn't longer enough to tell, there felt like there was some vibration but was difficult to compare exactly. Its weird it like a really high pitch vibration (if that's the real term!) it's doing my nut in! I am a fussy bugger though, and maybe I'm become so tuning into I'm looking for it.

I did have a 150ps 6speed for a couple of days when van was in, and I didn't notice as much in that, engine felt smooth and there was a nice turbo whoosh. Don't hear that in the 102. Would the 150ps engine produce any less vibration or not, I understand the 102 is the same engine anyway.

Mine does seem to pull to the left still, even though they should have looked at wheel alignment. Going to maybe take to another dealer anyway, see what they think, failing that will try some silentcoat in the cab/engine and underneath the pedal covers!

Has it been checked for a possible injector issue?

Hi @Loz , is the injector issue you refer to an electrical issue, or is it purely a mechanical failure? Would it show as an error code?

I did take out a 102 t6 for a quick ten minute spin, but was with rep, so it wasn't longer enough to tell, there felt like there was some vibration but was difficult to compare exactly. Its weird it like a really high pitch vibration (if that's the real term!) it's doing my nut in! I am a fussy bugger though, and maybe I'm become so tuning into I'm looking for it.

I did have a 150ps 6speed for a couple of days when van was in, and I didn't notice as much in that, engine felt smooth and there was a nice turbo whoosh. Don't hear that in the 102. Would the 150ps engine produce any less vibration or not, I understand the 102 is the same engine anyway.

Mine does seem to pull to the left still, even though they should have looked at wheel alignment. Going to maybe take to another dealer anyway, see what they think, failing that will try some silentcoat in the cab/engine and underneath the pedal covers!
Take the time to book in with Droitwich Listers. Speak with Dale, he has been following this thread for me and say to go and see him.

@Fish cheers buddy, will do, if not this week the week after. Be good to get her checked out at another dealer. Got a mate Ade who takes his van there.

Back