Cab Ambient "mood Lighting" Under-dash - How I Done It -

I was thinking more along trying a couple of these

The prewired means they are quite physically long but they are quick and simple to experiment with

Probably what I'd try is some high density 120 per m LED strip - the 12v stuff you can cut every 3 LED as that's a 12v segment of 3 chips 1 resistor - that should be around 3 cm with wires.

The downside is you probably have to buy a metre of it and I have to warn you soldering to the tape is a pig. The best advise is to not try and use all the tape, sacrifice the next segment by cutting just beyond the pads rather than across the middle to give a big as pad as possible. Use quality solder and an additional no clean liquid flux and tin the wires well beforehand. A bit of heatshrink to finish off and secure the wires, or maybe hot glue in place. You can get clamp on connectors, but if you are trying to tuck into a small light you don't have the space.

You can always drop the current with a series resistor.

You're not going to get something off the shelf doing this, you're likely to need to experiment with a few options to find what works.

But as I say I'd start with a small pre wired 12v LED and see if that's enough.

My suspicion is that a single prewired will be about right for light level, but might not produce the pool of light you want, hence suggesting the other option.

Back