Advice please: potential 4Motion purchase

Philnanks

Hi all.... just joined today to seek the collective wisdom of the forum for a (hopefully soon) purchase of a T6 Caravelle.
Previously had a T5 and T5.1 but been out of the loop since the introduction of the T6.

Could you advise on a couple of things?
Firstly engines, is there a 204 and a 199ps engine? Are either or both the bi-turbo engine? I’m a bit confused on this?

and for the 4motion owners..... I’m really tempted by one of these! What would you expect the price difference to be above a 2 wheel drive T6. Is it a proper 4 wheel drive or does it send traction to the wheel that’s losing grip and how does it affect fuel economy? Any views would be greatly appreciated to assist in the decision making.

Going for a test drive in one (not a 4motion) on Saturday.

There was only a 199 option when I bought mine new.... If your looking second hand then you may come across both 204 and 199

Some have the diff lock button on the dash.... try and get one with this option....

Why Buy A 4motion And Not Get The Diff-lock Option ?

Your wheel size, tyre pressures and driving style will probably have more bearing on mpg than 2WD over 4M...

However it is a bigger engine and a heavier vehicle so expect some loss on mpg..

204 and 199 engine are pretty much the same. Both bi-turbo, but the 199 is the 204 having been tweaked to be WLTP compliant, which means (I believe) a minor de-tune and an extra cat

No idea on cost second hand, but the difference from the factory was I believe £3100 plus vat, and if it has diff lock that would have been £545 plus vat

Thanks guys, didn’t know about the diff lock option? If not in the description I take it there’s a button on the dash to highlight that it’s there?

Thanks guys, didn’t know about the diff lock option? If not in the description I take it there’s a button on the dash to highlight that it’s there?
Yes indeed. And another point to consider is that the 199 only came in 4mo. So price the difference quote above is actually 204 2wd vs 204 4mo

Edit: that might just be the 199 DSG that only came in 4mo, and that's what a dealer told me, so could well be BS

My 2019 caravelle is a 199 fwd only dsg so I think dealer was misinformed...

I have a 204 4motion with DSG (no diff lock) Kombi, it was purchased ex demo with plan of using it solely for work, That didn’t happen I’ve had it in some fairly rough predicaments and it’s faired well in snow the 4motion definitely works for what I need and it’s sure footed on tarmac.
It is however a bit thirsty if you push it hard (it is pretty rapid for a van lol) it will do Yorkshire to Hampshire and back on a tank if the Mrs drives it tho.

Ok guys, need some advice on a possible purchase?
Went for the test drive in a new 150ps Caravelle executive today and have to say I really liked it. The new dash looked great, wireless Apple play was good however I’m still drawn to owning a 4mo.
There’s a lovely 13 month old T6 4 motion I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on which has nice extras....led headlights, elec seats, adaptive cruise 6k miles. Working on a 10% dealer margin there’s a potential 10k+ saving over a new one.
Being very new to the T6 world I’d like to know if you think that’s the right amount of saving over new or are the T6 prices likely to fall further now the T6.1 is out? My gut feeling and being Cornish is that a new flashy dash & some new gizmos aren’t worth 10k??
Any thoughts?

I have a 204 DSG 4Motion with diff lock. I drive off road a fair bit, farm tracks, muddy fields etc. I’ve never had to use the diff lock yet. But it’s nice to now it’s there. If you’re going on the mud I would seriously consider getting AT tyres. I have General Grabber AT3 and I’m very happy with them.

I would always say get diff lock if you can - We run quite a few, all with diff lock, and when we sell them at 12 month sold, we have people coming specifically to us for the diff lock. As has been said if you are going off tarmac its nice to know its there. We used to pull our near two ton boat up the very steep clay slipway in littlehampton with zero issues with diff lock engaged

Ok guys, need some advice on a possible purchase?
Went for the test drive in a new 150ps Caravelle executive today and have to say I really liked it. The new dash looked great, wireless Apple play was good however I’m still drawn to owning a 4mo.
There’s a lovely 13 month old T6 4 motion I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on which has nice extras....led headlights, elec seats, adaptive cruise 6k miles. Working on a 10% dealer margin there’s a potential 10k+ saving over a new one.
Being very new to the T6 world I’d like to know if you think that’s the right amount of saving over new or are the T6 prices likely to fall further now the T6.1 is out? My gut feeling and being Cornish is that a new flashy dash & some new gizmos aren’t worth 10k??
Any thoughts?

Because the T6.1 is basically another facelift but with extra free kit, I think prices will stay the same, there is certainly no weakening so far in the T6. The T6 is also considered better looking presently which helps . Big sec Caravelles do very well price wise.

I have had 2 x 204 4M. Both them have felt great on the open roads and good on camp sites/ rugby fields but never used them in proper off road conditions.
As others have said above they can be thirsty if driven hard.
Do you need a Caravelle? I have just listed on ebay my very well specced Kombi.

Thanks for the replies...
The diff lock option seems impossible to find second hand! Seems I might have to accept ill struggle to find one with that!

Kev... yeah I think we want the luxuries of the Caravelle I’m afraid. Did the Kombi route with the T5 & 5.1 & the sliding seats/table on rails will suit us right now.

We have a fully load 4 motion 204 caravelle up for sale in May 2019 with all options

Being updated monday, My demo Im doing a separate thread now - Its a total one off

The caravelle is grey with all options ticked

Back