Buying Advice..just About To Take The Plunge

oberlo

Hi guys,

I've been researching/reading these forums for the past 6 months or so and have finally made up my mind, or so I thought.

I've already pretty much bought the van (with heart and head) because I'm convincing myself that everything is okay despite a few red flags which I will list below.

Now, my test drive was superb - although I've never driven a t6 before, just a few Transit Customs courtesy of Enterprise but I was honestly blown away by how good the drive was, body roll aside it drove better than most cars I've driven recently.

HOWEVER

1. When I arrived, the engine light was on, and VW assist(I think it was, official-looking grey van anyway) actually pulled up not long after my test drive.

2. I was told there was full VW service history. But it would be via print out, and they needed to request it (the van had only just come in)

Due to the interest in the van (and me falling in love at first sight) I placed a £500 deposit that day, due to pickup Wednesday.

I was initially told before placing the deposit that there was '2 or 3 services on it, one at 18k and another at 36 and maybe one recently.

I received a phone call yesterday saying the service history amounts to a service at 36k and a service at 54k. I've told myself this is fine, its a 2-year-old van - but looking online it does seem a bit bad that it wasn't serviced sooner. I tell myself it's not a dealbreaker because it is a van, but is it?

Engine light is apparently an 'intermittent EGR fault'. I was given the impression before I placed the deposit that anything that needed doing would be 'fixed', now essentially the situation is the code has been cleared, but the fault hasn't been rectified.

The last time I dealt with EGR issues I blanked it off with a coke can lol, but how serious is it potentially? What are the costs to replace EGR on a t6?

I did some quick googling saw some mentions of DPF issues potentially coming hand in hand with EGR issues..which I know will be much more expensive to put right... so I've now rationalised that all I need to do is purchase an OBD2 reader and confirm it is just EGR causing the EML to come on (I'm thinking Carista combined with OBD auto doctor to check stored codes and confirm it is just the EGR?)

I've also booked the van in at VW Commercial Bristol, whose receptionist at least said 'if the EGR needs replacing it will be replaced under warranty' which gave me peace of mind..(however reading here, things aren't always so simple)

So now I'm thinking, why wouldn't it be fixed already if it was that easy?

If you have made it this far reading the van in question is below,

Used VOLKSWAGEN TRANSPORTER T28 TDI STARTLINE BMT WINDOW VAN IN PEPPERMINT GREEN, GREEN, 2.0, Van LWB, Mid Glamorgan South Wales | Broadway Van Centre

I love the unique colour...but those of you who watch the markets will know there has been an influx of these colour vans..with fewer mods but A LOT less miles, I don't mind paying a slight premium due to the colour & convenience factor but am I getting the maths wrong here?

What do you guys think, should I go through with the purchase with all the above in mind, or am I insane?

My plan is to purchase through my company then buy it back after a couple of years & convert to a camper then run it till it dies (or sell at 200k miles for five figures like half the transporter camper conversions I see!)

Anyway the VW scene looks awesome, I can't wait to get involved but I don't want to be *that guy* who bought a lemon and always moans about it while pouring thousands into repairs each year lol

First service at 36k is a bit of a worry.
Some people will change the oil and filter at 6k but I would think around 20k should be the max

First service at 36k is a bit of a worry.
Some people will change the oil and filter at 6k but I would think around 20k should be the max

Thank you for the quick response, now I immediately think, would an oil analysis be enough to see if any damage has been caused by this?

Or is it just a ticking time bomb?

As you are so unsure, why don't you take a step back, and look at what else is available? The used /nearly new market is saturated with these vans. And whilst you may like the colour, there is the probability that its not too popular when it comes to selling on time.

I would walk away.
36k for first service is bad news, and how confident are you that they will resolve the warning light to your satisfaction.

Also, will VW honour the remaining warranty if it hasn't been serviced to their specifications ?

Pete

The fact that you are writing this message is, to me, a reason to walk. You will not thank anyone for talking you into it...

I used to worry about choosing a colour of a car but not so bothered these days - with the wrapping thats available you can go as crazy as you want with full print or solid matt colours for £2 - £2.5kish for a LWB T6.

92ff96b5f3662d4451a9a0283e07c206.jpg

@czmate1999 nail on the head, the only one who tried to talk me into it was the dealer ...sais it all really!

Thank you so much for all the advice guys, and you are all right. Need to restart my search after spending a bit more time on research, didn't realise the wrapping potential possible nowadays for starters...

I will update wheter or not I get the deposit back!

You will get your deposit back. I put a deposit on a motorcycle earlier this year, then i got cold feet over it and cancelled a week later. My deposit was paid back on to my card.

Back