Buying a split screen panel van - 1958 model....advice

Roberts83

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

Looking at purchasing a split screen panel van now and I'm after any advice possible...I know about the usual rust spots and the engine has been rebuilt..is there anything the lovely folk on here can recommend I look out for?
Thanks
Chris

Yep, look out for rust. Mechanical bits and running gear are much easier to replace.
The worst areas are the lower front panels behind the bumper, wheel arches, rear corners, bottoms of the doors, basically the bottom 6 inches. Inner and outer sills, chassis rails, out riggers, jacking points and cargo floor all rot underneath. Check around the windows as well.

Is it a "known" vehicle, any previous history?

Yep, look out for rust. Mechanical bits and running gear are much easier to replace.
The worst areas are the lower front panels behind the bumper, wheel arches, rear corners, bottoms of the doors, basically the bottom 6 inches. Inner and outer sills, chassis rails, out riggers, jacking points and cargo floor all rot underneath. Check around the windows as well.

Is it a "known" vehicle, any previous history?
When you say "known" vehicle what do you mean? Thicko here....as for history dont know as yet...still making my mind up whether to make the jump...

I mean has it been at shows and on social media? As for history, is it an US import, dragged out of a forest in Scandinavia and an original UK bus?

You say usual rust spots take it you are you a member of SSVC if not join forum and ask about van, they can be redicilous price to repair any badly repaired sections can easy get to £20k for bodywork......
Have you driven one before too... went back to a bay years ago.

You say usual rust spots take it you are you a member of SSVC if not join forum and ask about van, they can be redicilous price to repair any badly repaired sections can easy get to £20k for bodywork......
Have you driven one before too... went back to a bay years ago.
Hi mate,

No didnt know about ssvc but have joined, thanks for the heads up...nope, never driven one, I know it wont be the same as my t6.1 though thats for sure!

I had a splitty before I bought two bays ,mine was pretty original inside...... I absolutely loved it ,hope one day to aquire another.:thumbsup:.....just make sure its solid ,no bodging , ex hot climate are best for solid lower 6".....if its had work best to have it checked over ,and if it needs work ...walk away...

IMG_2470.JPG

If you haven’t seen it watch the series campervan crisis which follows a resto of a split screen, you’ll pick up some pointers

Back