Buying a caravan any tips?

RyanGerry

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So we have decided to buy a caravan and before I go all in and buy the first one I see I would like to get peoples tips for those that have a caravan. My budget is 20k and so far I know it must be 6 birth and a twin axle.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated

Thanks

If your new to caravanning and not used to reversing trailers you should consider a motor mover as part of the package. Moving a twin axle by hand into position is not easy.

We are nearby - you’re welcome to pop round to look at our twin-axle caravan, get some tips and ideas. BTW, it isn’t for sale but we have had many caravans over the years.

Don’t go spending your money on the extras (awnings etc) as we have loads to get shot of!

If your new to caravanning and not used to reversing trailers you should consider a motor mover as part of the package. Moving a twin axle by hand into position is not easy.
If you are not used to reversing trailers, get some lessons and practice lots. When you meet a lorry down a narrow lane and the driver is sitting there with his arms folded, a motor mover isn't going to be of much help.

If you are not used to reversing trailers, get some lessons and practice lots. When you meet a lorry down a narrow lane and the driver is sitting there with his arms folded, a motor mover isn't going to be of much help.
On some sites there are certain pitches it is not possible to reverse into, as I stated previously twin axle vans don’t move easily by hand. I have been that class1 driver folding his arms on many occasions. Motor movers have a place and use, as do manners and road sense.

I fully agree that movers have their place. Most sites don't have a wide enough road to get enough angle to reverse a long outfit onto a pitch without driving over your opposing neighbours windbreak. My point was if the driver is a novice at this, then learning how to drive it should take precedence. We all know that there is much more to towing than just being able to reverse it somewhere near where you'd like it to end up.

I fully agree that movers have their place. Most sites don't have a wide enough road to get enough angle to reverse a long outfit onto a pitch without driving over your opposing neighbours windbreak. My point was if the driver is a novice at this, then learning how to drive it should take precedence. We all know that there is much more to towing than just being able to reverse it somewhere near where you'd like it to end up.
Ha ha ha........reminds me of a time we took a wrong turn in the New Forest when SWMBO was driving. Had to reverse into a field. "See me back," says SWMBO. Oh, the pure pain and embarrassment. She nailed it first time.

(For the rest of the journey, every time I glanced in her direction she had a wee smirk on her face!!!)

Ideally go to a show or large dealer to look in a lot of vans and find one that you like.
Then come home and surf the web for the best deal!
We did that and found the one we wanted nearly new in Cumbria £8K below new price.

Last edited:
We once had a 6 berth twin axle caravan with motor movers, the movers were an absolute god send for getting in/out of the driveway and positioning in the yard area.

Also consider the weight of the caravan ,as they can differ quite a lot, this is a consideration as depending on your vehicle type etc will determine what weight can be towed.

Take your time when buying ,it will pay off ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the info, I’ll definitely look into it all, I have a T30 so I’ll see what the weights of the caravans are I am looking at and see if it’s able to tow… @JOG I’ll definitely take you up on the offer as I’m only round the corner I’ll PM you once the bedtime routine is done…

So we have decided to buy a caravan and before I go all in and buy the first one I see I would like to get peoples tips for those that have a caravan. My budget is 20k and so far I know it must be 6 birth and a twin axle.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated

Thanks

I'm surprised you didn't message me as it is my industry.

First outing in ours the motorway was closed and followed the iPhone nav though a small village which frustratingly lead into a bus only lane with cameras. Spotted at the last moment was a turning which took us into a newly built housing estate with no through route. I had to effect a very tight reverse around a corner with parked cars everywhere! The fall back plan was to unhitch but luckily I managed it. Ours is a 6 birth single axle.

Good luck in your search

Yep. I picked the caravan up on my own, sat nav took me through Central Leeds, then the motorway was shut for a few hours. Then there was a thunderstorm, by which time, I had a migraine.

Next time I towed the small road was closed for repair. Learned how to do a 3-point turn in less than ideal circumstances.

Caravan was damp from the offset, hence advice about damp meter & dealer location.

Have just sold it. Lovely thing, you're right to ask for tips & advice tho.

Back