Buyer Advice

MR81

Hi all

I am new to the forum and VW Transporters. I am looking to buy my first Transporter and am hoping that some of you may be able to help with a few questions. I have found a 2013 T30 Kombi 2.0 140ps SWB on a 13 plate which I believe is a T5?

It has done 176K miles which in my mind is a lot but from what I have read, as long as it has a full service history this should be ok? What are peoples thoughts on this? I will get a AA inspection and the seller has said inspections are welcome.

It is up for £14K. Does this sound about right?

We will be using it to tow and the trailer is 2200KG. I have looked online and found conflicting data on the tow capacity. I believe it is 2500KG, can anybody help clarify if it is possible?

Thanks in advance for any input.

It seems about right price wise in these crazy times everything’s a premium! It’s actually a t5.1 if on a 13 plate sounds like the higher speced model with the more powerful engine
Not sure on towing capacity but someone on here will deffo know! best of luck and let us know the outcome

A t30 will happily tow 2.5 ton but it is “on the limit”. Did not expect speed but it will do it. At that sort of mileage, you shouldn’t be stressing the van anyway but it will do it

Thanks for you replies Chippie1 and JOG.

We didn't go ahead with the purchase of the van mentioned above in the end but we are going to look at a van tomorrow - a 2014 biTDI BlueMotion T30 Highline Kombi DSG SWB. 123,000 miles

A friend has suggested a vital piece of information is the date of the last timing belt and water pump change. Can you suggest anything else we should be looking for/ask the seller? As is is an auto gearbox are there any signs I should be looking for?

Thanks again for any advice.

Your mate is correct - cambelt needs doing recently!

He has suggested it is every 60,000 miles. So in theory very recently. Does that sound about right?

vw say 4years or 80,000 miles which ever come sooner but others tend to leave it bit longer so as jog mentioned I would like it to have had one recently as age wise it should be coming up to its second cam belt also check when last dsg service was done if both need doing expect to pay £700-£900

Also look at whet egr Is fitted. One that’s 2014 should have a version d fitted, look it up certainly earlier versions with a types fitted can destroy you bitdi engines due to the egr breaking up and bits getting in the oil. Although if this one has done 123,000 miles it’s either a good one or the engine has been replaced

Good test drive, go with the gut and not the sale pitch. Then a 3 month warranty, then pay for another 12 month warranty. Should give peace of mind

Hi guys. Just a quick message to thank you all for your help. We bought a really nice 2015 SWB Kombi and love it. It has electric sliding doors on both sides which is never going to get boring and gives peace of minds with the kids fingers.

Had to replace the EGR sensor after we bought it which wasn't cheap. Had a service and inspection done at the same time so we now know it has a clean bill of health.

There are a couple of rattles. One from the engine bay when it idles, it goes away with higher revs. Anybody come across that? Also the passenger door shuts with a satisfying clunk but the drivers door is a bit rattly, obviously had more use. Is there a component that tends to work loose?

There are a couple of rattles. One from the engine bay when it idles, it goes away with higher revs. Anybody come across that?
Also the passenger door shuts with a satisfying clunk but the drivers door is a bit rattly, obviously had more use. Is there a component that tends to work loose?
Upload a video of each problem (to YouTube and then link here) for the best way of getting it diagnosed here.

Back