Cadac Pizza Stone burning the base.

andy greenwood

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We used our pizza stone for the first time last night on our cadac grillo chef 2.
I followed the instructions...put the pan stand on, pizza stone on with metal holder. Heat until 200 degrees. Turn onto low and sprinkle with flour.
Let temperature cool to 180 degrees and add pizza. Cook until ready......unfortunately the pizza base burnt to a crisp before the toppings were even hot and cooked .
What am i doing wrong? :(

You need the deflector plate under the stone. Don't put the stone straight on the burner. I did the same mistake the other week. Have tried twice more with the deflector in place but still not getting great results. Base cooked fine but top cold.

You need the deflector plate under the stone. Don't put the stone straight on the burner. I did the same mistake the other week. Have tried twice more with the deflector in place but still not getting great results. Base cooked fine but top cold.

Which cadac do you have? Our grillo chef 2 did not come with a reflector plate. I presume to use the pizza stone that i need to buy one ??
I find that cadac don't give you much helpful information on their products :(

I've got the original cadac safari chef which seems to have more attachments and we use the slotted deflector with the wire grill on top with the pizza stone on top of that
I always start it on a low gas albeit it takes a little longer to warm up, as their instructions start on high and turn it down seemed to burn the base as OP stated
we've cooked pizza, flat bread, quiche, pies and warmed up croissants now with no problems

I found that with ours. Don’t get the stone too hot. Done pizza on ours tonight, better than you’ll get from the oven or Dominio’s.
Don’t even bother flouring ours, but yes you do need it on the metal wire rack, can’t stand it directly on the burner.

I found that with ours. Don’t get the stone too hot. Done pizza on ours tonight, better than you’ll get from the oven or Dominio’s.
Don’t even bother flouring ours, but yes you do need it on the metal wire rack, can’t stand it directly on the burner.
I tried ours on the metal wire rack, not direct on the burner and it burnt the base badly. Im going to try your advice and not get the stone too hot.
Basically cadacs instructions are rubbish

I tried ours on the metal wire rack, not direct on the burner and it burnt the base badly. Im going to try your advice and not get the stone too hot.
Basically cadacs instructions are rubbish
I used to burn mine to a frazzle.
Now I set the Cadac to minimum, which gently warms the stone and brings it up to about 140degC. Leave it for about 5-10 mins, then pop the pizza on and close the lid again. You can turn it up a tad, but my advice would be no more than 160. Every few minutes just slide a fish slice or similar instrument under it just to ensure it is not sticking or burning.
Now that I can get them right, they are the best pizza’s we eat. The kids always ask to do pizza’s on the Cadac at home rather than in the oven.

I used to burn mine to a frazzle.
Now I set the Cadac to minimum, which gently warms the stone and brings it up to about 140degC. Leave it for about 5-10 mins, then pop the pizza on and close the lid again. You can turn it up a tad, but my advice would be no more than 160. Every few minutes just slide a fish slice or similar instrument under it just to ensure it is not sticking or burning.
Now that I can get them right, they are the best pizza’s we eat. The kids always ask to do pizza’s on the Cadac at home rather than in the oven.
Great advice, i'll give that a try :thumbsup:

Remember it is a tiny oven.. so 180c will be real hot in there..
We put stone direct onto the stone, warm to 180 then allow to cool alittle to 140ish. Then pop pizza in and timer for 7.. check. 3more mins. Done.

We used our pizza stone for the first time last night on our cadac grillo chef 2.
I followed the instructions...put the pan stand on, pizza stone on with metal holder. Heat until 200 degrees. Turn onto low and sprinkle with flour.
Let temperature cool to 180 degrees and add pizza. Cook until ready......unfortunately the pizza base burnt to a crisp before the toppings were even hot and cooked .
What am i doing wrong? :(

Looks like its catching!!
Tried ours on the weekend and burnt its bum real bad!!

All advice gratefully received and will try, try and try again!
:slow rofl:

Try Polenta on the stone instead of flour. Sticks into the base and gives it a really nice crisp.

Even better is to roll the dough out on polenta then slap it straight onto the stone ... Yum.

I emailed cadac uk support and this is the reply ........

Dear Andy,

We advise putting the stone of top of the BBQ grid so this then acts as a flame tamer for you. It is possible without doing this however we find this makes pizza making more forgiving!

Hope this helps

Best wishes

CADAC

I emailed cadac uk support and this is the reply ........

Dear Andy,

We advise putting the stone of top of the BBQ grid so this then acts as a flame tamer for you. It is possible without doing this however we find this makes pizza making more forgiving!

Hope this helps

Best wishes

CADAC
“Flame tamer” :slow rofl:
That’s it, new forum username found........

Great wordmanship from Cadac Support there, Shakespeare eat your heart out.

Back