bulkhead and leg room

doogsboy

Hi All...I have been thinking of a change of van for a few months now from a for transit which I have had transits all my working life to a transporter...anyway I picked the transporter up about 3 weeks ago and as ye do join the vw site for some tips an advice...the van I have got is a 17 plate T6 highline DSG 150 with the usual bits n bobs added..20ins alloys,coilovers,side bars, wanted the sportline but was told vw don't make a sportline in a panel van in white only the kombi...can anybody give me some advice on getting any extra leg room...iam not very tall but with it being an auto having your foot over the brake a lot of the time my foot is cramping up also feel a bit close to the steering wheel..i have had the seat in all positions using the adjusting leavers but still need that little bit extra..is there a bulkhead that can be fitted that will give me that extra bit I need?
thanx for any help and suggestions on this topic

which foot are you holding over the brake peddle ???
don't need to use your left foot at all on an auto
right foot for braking and accelerating as on a manual

I’m sure I saw a review of the T6 on YouTube where the guy was short on leg room so he spaced the bulkhead off with a bit of 3x2 timber ? Cheaper than a new bulkhead.

Hello, I had this very same problem with my second hand 2014 T5.1 panel Sportline.
I too found the driving position very uncomfortable having come from a Kombi, obviously without a bulkhead.
I decided the best option and cheapest option was to move the two part bulkhead backwards (in my case 40mm).
There are 18 M6 nuts holding the bulkhead in position on captive threads. Then another 5 or so holding the upper and lower parts of the BH together.
The BH is attached to the roof in the cab area under a plastic strip which is easily removed by prising it off with a flathead screwdriver . There are 4 or 5 torx screws which need removing.
To achieve the spacing I attached one 20mm stud connecting nut to each of the captive threads. (see image).
Then cut 18 lengths of high tensile steel M6 stud to approx 35mm long.
These were then wound through a second connecting nut (see image) leaving about 7mm exposed either end of the nut. This was then wound on the first connecting nut.
All I did then was re attach the BH lower part first. Hey presto the whole BH is now 40mm further back allowing the drivers seat to go back and recline into a much comfier position.
I hope the images attached help.

The only problem now is I have a 40mm gap all round the BH. I intend to fill this with sone pipe lagging foam or

Hi mate, funnily enough I sorted it today.
My van came to me ply lined and carpeted.
The gap I created moving the BH back was 40mm, I bought lengths of 22mm pipe insulation and jammed it into the gap from the load side.
Then recarpeted the BH including the insulation. From the load side it looks great, however you can see the insulation from the cab side but as it is dark Grey I can live with it.
Plus the driving position is now spot on. As regards the noise it is very good, but I put on the roof bars on as well today so that has messed it up.
Hope this is helpful.

Also on the same subject. I spoke to a sheet metal guy who I use from time to time.
I asked if he could fabricate a recess section for behind the drivers seat that could be riveted on once a cutout had been made. He reaconed @£200.
I will go down this route if I'm not happy with my fix. Might be cheaper to have a few made??
I am not convinced the after market BH's on the market offer more leg room.

Also on the same subject. I spoke to a sheet metal guy who I use from time to time.
I asked if he could fabricate a recess section for behind the drivers seat that could be riveted on once a cutout had been made. He reaconed @£200.
I will go down this route if I'm not happy with my fix. Might be cheaper to have a few made??
I am not convinced the after market BH's on the market offer more leg room.

not a bad idea, carpeted over could be good. as for the other makes my dad had a motexion in a t5 and that was definelty more spacious, he managed to get it cheap off ebay and it was carpeted too nice bit of kit

5'6 ish i think, we both push our seats as far back as they go and when he changed the bulkhead from the standard steel to motexion one it was definetly better for both of us, we both drive autos too so like to be futher back that what a manual would allow
Does the motexion BH fit behind the drivers seat even though its meant to fit behind the passenger seats in a Kombi? Im after more leg room too

Hi all, hope you're coping with current restriction measures in your area. Hopefully the new vaccine will help the world will get back to normal.

That aside, I want to talk bulkheads.

I have a new 6.1. Love the van, but if you are 'taller', the driving position isn't great. The 6.1 is a panel van as I have to work from it, so for safety, need a bulkhead.

I've seen about 'Motexion' bulkheads, but are these only available from dealers or on the open market? Do they give you that much more room? Can you put seat fully back and recline with this? Are they easy to fit (just unbolt existing and bolt in new) or is it a dealer fit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need more room!!

Does the removal of the bulkhead give you more seat adjustment ie can the drivers seat slide further, and tilt further back? Thanks.

Does the removal of the bulkhead give you more seat adjustment ie can the drivers seat slide further, and tilt further back? Thanks.
@AndyMull in short (excuse the pun) yes. I’ve merged your thread with an existing one to show you a simple solution.

You’ll probably find most queries have already been covered, which’ll save you waiting around for a response. Have a look here for tips on searching:
Oh and welcome to the forum!

Back