Bubbling on inner side wall of tyre

Rew

Morning,

I have 20 inch wheels on my T6 as many others. Has anyone had the same problem with bubbling on the inner side walls. This is the 2nd set of tyres to do the same thing and different manufacturers.
To be fare they are both low end spec tyres but didn't want to put on more expensive brand which might do the same.
Thinking of going back to original VW wheels.

Bubbling is caused by the carcass separating from the plies.
Is either a defect in the tyre or it is caused by running with the incorrect tyre pressure causing damage to the plies, most very likely it’s been under inflated.
This of course will be exaggerated if the tyres are very cheap budget ones.

Pease be aware that you now are in ‘instant deflation‘ territory.

Contrary to popular belief, tyres very very rarely “blowout”, they deflate and people assume a blowout because they’ve torn them to shreds before they have stopped.
A tyre with this defect is likely to do instantly deflate and the dangers at speed are obvious.

Please don’t drive with it like that and change it immediately.

Last edited:
I believe what you are saying are the most likely reason. This is also not a one off, it a second set of tyres repeating the damage. Indicating that something is not right here. I also suspect low pressures, that is possibly exasperated by the quality of the tyres. I as,k have there been other vehicle modifications? Has it been lowered? Has the tracking been properly adjusted? Also not likely to be the direct reason but has rubbing been eliminated.

When vehicles are sold from the manufacturer, everything should be as it ought to be. They provide a limited amount of information regarding tyre pressures on a sticky for the tyres fitted and a few other likely sizes. Including a recommended size for winter, that would allow fitment of chains. They do not provide correct pressures for a wider range of tyre sizes.

Recommended tyre pressures are not an arbitrary proclamation. They have been arrived at by calculation and experience with cooperation with a chosen tyre company. There are correlations between weight, tyre air volume, size, speed and lots of other parameters and balances in the equation. They look at tyre ware, heat build up, handling water clearance, noise and so on and so on.

A problem arises when we fit tyres and wheels that are have not been proved by the vehicle manufacturer. There may be some safety, if we buy a tyre, different than that provided, if that same wheel tyre or size is sold for other vehicles in our range. The correct pressure may be in the hand book or from the manufacturer or dealer. If we go outside of those recommended sizes than we appear to be almost on our own. We ask the tyre wheel dealer, we ask our friends or garage, we ask here. It is a lottery. I have seen answers given, covering a wide range of sins but could include. I just stick x pounds in. From an other, I put y pounds in. Then, I put less in because it is more comfortable that way or I get a higher mileage, I like to feel the road, and so on, and so on. We need accuracy for this sort of thing. For our safety and well being.

The manufacturer may possibly help if they had trials. I very much doubt that if they have not had, that they would provide information. This is because of potential litigation, which could easily cost £millions or even £billions including corporation fines. There are calculations available as ready reckoners. Mainly available is US "tire" sites. The ones I have seen are not infallible and often although including ranges of tyre size that we may possibly use may not include the correct weight range in one part of the calculation or an other. The way things appear to be going, there may well be legal implications if any have a very serious accident and it is proven, that some thing to do with tyres is a contributing factor. I am not just talking fines here but of draconian sentences, so be very sure, to be safe!

I ask here, if anyone has a good link to an infallible tyre pressure guide, please post it. I believe that Home - Seikel may have a list of tyre pressures for certain outsized tyres that I presume may satisfy TUV standards.

To the original poster. You can not drive this vehicle in that state. You have to have it sorted. If you have a serious accident you will be liable. They look into internet access now and they will see that you are aware and have been advised. Be safe!

So the obvious question is, what pressure do you run them at ?

Pete

The only times I've seen this happen on my tyres is when I run a stretch on a budget tyre.

Tyre pressures
Where do I start?

Recommended manufacturers pressures? Tyre manufacturers or vehicle manufacturers or wheel manufacturers.

Let’s say tyre manufacturers.
Light load? Heavy load? Front fitment? Rear fitment? Front wheel drive? Rear wheel drive?

Which country? Norway, Iceland, Greenland Or Morocco Greece or Algeria ?

Elevation? Cusco or Amsterdam?

Speed? Constant motorway speed or rough slippy ground.

I haven’t even started on steering geometry alterations, or suspension or ride height changes.

And we wonder why tyres are so complicated?
There is no such thing as an acceptable general tyre pressure. Manufacture of wheels, tyres and vehicles is global, the differences in customer needs vast.

i really don’t worry about having an accurate tyre pressure gauge. What is your target pressure and how right is it’s for your needs?

It is far more important to know what is right for you and have access to a gauge that is reliably consistent. My old sliding gauge might not be accurate but it always gives a consistent reading and I know what suits my bike, car or van (well actually I’m still playing around with my van pressures, the wheels are new!)

After a longish run, get out and place the flat of your hand on each tyre wall, is it burning hot or just nicely warm. Burning hot- up the pressure a tad.

Are all the tyres the same temperature? They should be.

Check your wear pattern, are both edges wearing, it is most likely that pressure is to low for the load being carried, and don’t forget that wear that occurs at the start of the tyres life may not be obvious until the sipes are near the limit.
Is the tyre wearing around the centre, your pressures are too high for the light load.

Do these things even if you are running “recommended” pressures. Recommended for who what and where.

Good luck, it’s a minefield.

Last edited:
Back