Broken wing mirror - bushing required!

michelle Knight

hi

I've hit the wing mirror on my T6 highline today & it's broken the metal bracket. Rest is all in tack including electrics. Can I just order & replace the metal bracket as I've seen them on eBay & how do I do it as can't find much instruction online.

Would appreciate help!

Its a fiddly job but you can take it apart, to remove the complete thing you need to remove the door card as there are three bolts behind it securing the wing mirror assembly to the door.
Depending what van you have you will prob have a couple antennas in the mirror for dab/fm/gps etc so the wires will also need to be disconnected, you say the rest of it is intact but its difficult to remove the painted rear mirror cap without breaking the clips that join the top and bottom together, will see if i can dig out the diagram for it

This will give you an idea, separating part 6 and 13 is the PITA
The mirror itself is clipped in and pops out, raise the mirror until is pointing as high as it goes then get something flat and wide underneath the bottom edge of the glass and lever it up and out, this will reveal some of the clips holding the rear cap on but the bottom clips remain hidden and are the ones that break

Wing Mirror bfae.png

This will give you an idea, separating part 6 and 13 is the PITA
The mirror itself is clipped in and pops out, raise the mirror until is pointing as high as it goes then get something flat and wide underneath the bottom edge of the glass and lever it up and out, this will reveal some of the clips holding the rear cap on but the bottom clips remain hidden and are the ones that break

View attachment 9988

Pauly

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a go removing tomorrow as it's hanging off by the wires currently! Are the door cards easy to remove? We need to do it anyway to put some sound proofing in but as am a complete novice am abit dubious

Last edited by a moderator:
Door cards aren't too bad, leave ignition off and remove switches first then remove fixings including the two half turn plastic lugs under bottom door pocket, swing bottom of door card away from door and inch or two and the whole thing lifts up and off
There are five or six plastic clips around the edge of door card holding it on, if you pull gently on the edge of the door card and look through the gap between it and the door you will see where they are, plastic trim tools or similar are very handy for this process

Yep I found mine damaged In the car park.. Shit!

Replacement from VW of the folding core, upper lower covers and the surround Inc paint as the triangle that attaches to the door is also painted is around 640 CHF GBP 500!!!!

Has anyone used one of these to repair their mirror.

Mine was the victim of a ford transit white van man yesterday!

96348534-CBF4-41B6-80CC-19DD64FCF699.jpeg

8A84C525-9772-4D34-85D5-54B00124969C.jpeg

I did however manage to unplug it from the outside without taking the door card off.

And amazingly it is all working and not cracks or splits anywhere.

B8C3AC79-765A-4E16-95DC-E50D9057D851.jpeg

4DB48F0A-1251-42D1-94C0-78352DF75737.jpeg

AB4407D2-AC34-4F0F-A664-1649FAAB912D.jpeg

It’s actually tempting whilst I am waiting for the replacement part to have a go at the wing mirror indicators.

This has happened to a few of us;....

We also suffered from the scope creep with the indicators....

This has happened to a few of us;....

We also suffered from the scope creep with the indicators....

Thank you so much for all of this useful information.

The T6 doesn’t have that multiplug as the T5 did.

But the info about the spring is very useful. And the Travelinlite instructions.

Too man thank you.

It’s the “while I’ve got this off, I may as well also do...” syndrome :)
I know exactly what you mean, doing mirror indicators but while I’m at it I’ll put puddle lights in but while I’m at it I’ll gloss black the covers but while I’m at it I’ll gloss black the mount but while I’m at it might as well fit folding mirrors!!!

Needless to say the mirrors fitted are still standard :rolleyes:

This happened to me on the weekend as car was parked :( want to try the bracket repacement as only bracket has snapped any step by step guide or tutorial anyone can link me :)
the bush backet i bought for replacement has no instructions :(

thanks in advance

This happened to me on the weekend as car was parked :( want to try the bracket repacement as only bracket has snapped any step by step guide or tutorial anyone can link me :)
the bush backet i bought for replacement has no instructions :(

thanks in advance

Mate check out all of the T6 links above that Catfood12 has very kindly added.

Everything you need in terms of instructions is within those articles.

OK so I've learnt the hard way that the bevel gear in the wing mirrors are made of chocolate! Due to my trade I can see the material used is utter rubbish! Anyway, rant over.
I've found replacement bevel gears on line but they state 2010 to 2016. My van is 2017. But then on vee dub transporters it just states 2010 onwards. Can anyone shed any light on this? Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything, just how to's on doing the job.

Tia

I have heard the bracket bush above is hard to assemble as the spring is super strong. Putting really strong (black in pic) zip ties on the old spring before dismantling and transferring to the new bush took about 5 mins without any other tools. Heard it has taken some people hours so thought I would share here.20210115_100415.jpg

Back