Broken Drop Link

Ned Kelly

I recently replaced B14 with Air Lift 3 H and had a height sensor disappear on me. On investigation, it looks like the drop link has snapped and taken the wiring loom out. This should be a straightforward fix. but what im more concerned about is why the drop link has snapped the ARB's where fitted at the same time as the B14's any advise appreciated.WhatsApp Image 2021-04-02 at 13.29.13.jpeg

I recently replaced B14 with Air Lift 3 H and had a height sensor disappear on me. On investigation, it looks like the drop link has snapped and taken the wiring loom out. This should be a straightforward fix. but what im more concerned about is why the drop link has snapped the ARB's where fitted at the same time as the B14's any advise appreciated.View attachment 110838
Side note I really don’t like the placement of that hose behind that brake pipe hopefully it’s just the picture but it looks like it’s against the steel brake pipe, could have the potential to rub through

I recently replaced B14 with Air Lift 3 H and had a height sensor disappear on me. On investigation, it looks like the drop link has snapped and taken the wiring loom out. This should be a straightforward fix. but what im more concerned about is why the drop link has snapped the ARB's where fitted at the same time as the B14's any advise appreciated.View attachment 110838
If you have had air suspension on and running low, you should replace the OEM droplinks with longer ones.

Side note I really don’t like the placement of that hose behind that brake pipe hopefully it’s just the picture but it looks like it’s against the steel brake pipe, could have the potential to rub through
Thanks just checked its angle of the pic its actually 50 to 60 mm away
If you have had air suspension on and running low, you should replace the OEM droplinks with longer ones.
OK thanks for the advice can you advise what size or who to get them from please.

OK thanks for the advice can you advise what size or who to get them from please.
I had Meyle ones on the previous van, cant remember off the top of my head where from.

I was meaning the steel brake pipe on the body, from memory that mount only sticks out about an inch ?

Are these contacting each other is what I mean

9EAC0266-45BF-423F-A312-2676AA14B859.jpeg

Sorry to give you more work I think they should have used shorter air lines

Unfortunately I would have to mock it up to do a lock to lock and height test to get the right length hose, if you’ve got some old hose cut it to lengths that you can get the hose and tape it in place at each connection and test it, not with air but using a jack to raise and lift the van

I found some Meyle ones that are reinforced version and 260 mm long does this sound ok im guessing this is the OEM height. Im no mechanic but just want to get her back on the road. The company that fitted the Air are not local so want to have ago.
You need a longer than OEM version.

I got a new cable for the heigh sensor and spliced it in. Its a bit tidier and safer now on both sides only had red cable ties but ill swap them for black at a later date Thanks NikNak temp fix in place until I get some rubber sleave to do a better job. The drop links measure 300 mm so the garage that fitted my air must have swapped them out as OEM look like 260mm. But God knows what caused it to bend and then snap. Pic attached shows how bent it was at the point of fracture. Has anyone seen this before or got a clue what could have caused it. I'm going to order the transporter HQ longer ones but would like to understand what went wrong so it doesn't happen again. The off-side all looks ok, not bent at all. Thanks all for the great advice and input.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 20.25.37 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 20.25.37 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 at 20.25.37.jpeg

Much better, if you can get some I would advise some fuel hose cut down the side, just would look a bit neater and more durable, the picture of the bent anti roll link is that the other side ? Think I’d be tempted to see if can get some up rated links surely there are some on the market that are rose jointed and adjustable, not your fault but seems strange to have uprated suspension and roll bar and stock links, good to see you done the mod to stop potential rubbing

The pic is of the broken NS one pieced together to show how bent it was at the point of failure. OS looks ok

I agree, that doesnt look like the OEM drop link. Poor quality? I would source some Meyle ones.

Back