Loose wheel bolts!

JimVee

Retired
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Sitting outside the RSC waiting for the AA. Leaving work ran fine then 20 mile later a knocking sound from the engine. Pulled over and checked everything, no leaks nothing so carried on. Within seconds, same noise, pulled over again but couldn’t see anything.

Driving through Stratford I decided to pull over as it felt the bus was going to bloody blow something.

So waiting for the AA bod

urgh . . . . nightmare.

keep us posted.

Well back home and all sorted, it was loose wheel bolts! Thank heavens I took the slow road home otherwise it could have been a disaster if I had gone the bypass road.

lesson learnt, I recently changed wheels to banded steels but didn’t clean the wheel holes on the actual wheels, in my speed to change them over, I forgot to remove the paint so a lucky man indeed. Will recheck them at the weekend, had visions of £2k bills for dmf replacement etc etc.

Last edited:
Its happened to me a couple times as well, lesson learnt and all that

I've had similar on the Yeti when swapping from winter to summer wheels a few years ago. The threads on the wheel bolts corrode so the torque wrench clicks off before the correct clamp load is applied to the wheel. I now run a wire wheel over the threads before refitting and all is good.

Back