Brentacre insurance

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru

Anyone Made A Claim? And if you did were you happy? Notwithstanding that making a claim is never a happy time.
Doing my diligence before committing my money so am getting quotes for my conversion to camper.
My standard van insurance won't touch it as soon as I start making changes:cautious:
Brentacre looking the best, at least they seem to make the most sense.

Called HIC for quote and he wouldn't give me one that was valid for even one day, said I had to go with it today or it might be a lot more next week. Hmmmm, don't think that works for me.:confused:
So called Just Kampers and the same guy answered the phone! Needless to say it wasn't a long call.

I’m insured with Brentacre for the second year, I tried a few different companies and Brentacre were the only ones to get me to list the specification and mod’s before insuring.
I’ve never claimed but it did give me piece of mind that Brentacre and myself both have a record of exactly what is insured. It saves any discussion later along the lines of ‘oh we didn’t know that was modified’!
Some of the other companies were very brief, almost straight onto the ‘how do you want to pay’ before we’d got through the minefield of which model T6 is actually is.
Brentacre are just the broker and they do charge a fee for arranging the insurance, all of which is made clear. Marker Study are my insurer.

I was going to use them but you have to use a repair shop they recommend so if under warranty and want to use a vW recommended one you will have to pay the extra . I didn’t fine this out until paying so had to haggle to get all my money back . Ask them on the phone before agreeing to pay .

Hi all,
What do you think of this insurance company, anyone made a claim & what are they like to deal with
Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave, I insured my PV with them last year with the intention of turning it into a Kombi. They don’t charge extra for modifications unless you’re increasing the power output and their quote was very competitive. They also seem
really knowledgeable about vans and the typical modifications people make.

Unfortunately my van was written off in April by someone who forgot what side of the road to drive on and they were really easy to deal with. Brentacre are a broker and I was actually insured through Markerstudy. Managed to get a settlement really quickly and it was in line with the increased value of the van due to covid etc. Definitely recommend them.

Hi Dave, I insured my PV with them last year with the intention of turning it into a Kombi. They don’t charge extra for modifications unless you’re increasing the power output and their quote was very competitive. They also seem
really knowledgeable about vans and the typical modifications people make.

Unfortunately my van was written off in April by someone who forgot what side of the road to drive on and they were really easy to deal with. Brentacre are a broker and I was actually insured through Markerstudy. Managed to get a settlement really quickly and it was in line with the increased value of the van due to covid etc. Definitely recommend them.
That’s reassuring. I’m insured with Brentacre and they’ve just sent me my renewal quote through (which is £3 LESS than the current year.)
As I’m lazy I’ll probably just renew with them save wasting hours on phone calls to save a few quid.

I found that Brentacre weren’t very good at reducing the renewal premium for no claims and there was no negotiation.

Yes, the email you a link to access your documents- I find them to be easy to deal with and my renewal quote went down a few quid

Yes, the email you a link to access your documents- I find them to be easy to deal with and my renewal quote went down a few quid
I had real problems insuring my van since I kitted out the inside, my trade policy didn't want to know, aplan said there was problems with my address and never even called me back for a quote, just campers wanted too much but brentacre were easy to deal with and gave best quote, they sent me txt with log in details but no link, will check my spam, cheers

I had real problems insuring my van since I kitted out the inside, my trade policy didn't want to know, aplan said there was problems with my address and never even called me back for a quote, just campers wanted too much but brentacre were easy to deal with and gave best quote, they sent me txt with log in details but no link, will check my spam, cheers
If you need to email them they are at admin@brentacre.co.uk

Your right on the few quid, literally just a few. That’s why I went elsewhere.

Went with Brentacre, very good experience compared to the usual ins & outs of buying vehicle insurance, happy with the quote also, I guess the ultimate test would be if a claim is required?

Insurance renewal time; I'm with Brentacre who I find are very quick to respond to emails and don't charge anything to add mods as you go along, which is all good. The renewal quote is the same price as last year (375) using a valuation of 23K which I gave them last year - T28, 49K miles, stx coil overs, kombi seats and windows, usual sound proofing and leisure battery etc.

Looking at prices online I recon an identical base van is now around 26K including vat (I paid 18K) so I'm guessing around 30K to 32K to replace like for like. Brentacre are happy to change the estimate value to 32K but my premium raises to 420, an increase of 55 quid. Now i'm happy to pay that extra given that I have increased the value of the van by 9K. I did however ask them to confirm that this is an agreed value in the event of a claim. What they told me is this policy is not an agreed value policy and that any claim (theft/write off) would be limited to the maximum of the estimated value, now 32K, they also stated "any pay out would be based on modified market value and not based on a standard van at the time"

Now I know Brentacre are just the broker and the van would be insured with Markerstudy Insurance with whom I would have to argue the current market value in the event of a claim. My only concern now is the appalling reviews Markerstudy get. Having a quick search on here I see A-Plan also use Markerstudy so no point getting a quote off them. Has anyone got any good experiences with Markerstudy? or should I look elsewhere?

Brentacre are also brokers for LV and a few others. Ask them to give you a quote from them.
I queried it with them and they gave me a quote from LV, which was more expensive. Stayed with the markerstudy one.
Renewal just come through for July for £300 exactly. Gone up about £20 I think.

Insurance renewal time; I'm with Brentacre who I find are very quick to respond to emails and don't charge anything to add mods as you go along, which is all good. The renewal quote is the same price as last year (375) using a valuation of 23K which I gave them last year - T28, 49K miles, stx coil overs, kombi seats and windows, usual sound proofing and leisure battery etc.

Looking at prices online I recon an identical base van is now around 26K including vat (I paid 18K) so I'm guessing around 30K to 32K to replace like for like. Brentacre are happy to change the estimate value to 32K but my premium raises to 420, an increase of 55 quid. Now i'm happy to pay that extra given that I have increased the value of the van by 9K. I did however ask them to confirm that this is an agreed value in the event of a claim. What they told me is this policy is not an agreed value policy and that any claim (theft/write off) would be limited to the maximum of the estimated value, now 32K, they also stated "any pay out would be based on modified market value and not based on a standard van at the time"

Now I know Brentacre are just the broker and the van would be insured with Markerstudy Insurance with whom I would have to argue the current market value in the event of a claim. My only concern now is the appalling reviews Markerstudy get. Having a quick search on here I see A-Plan also use Markerstudy so no point getting a quote off them. Has anyone got any good experiences with Markerstudy? or should I look elsewhere?
As I previously mentioned in this thread I was insured through Markerstudy when my T6 PV was written off in April 2021. I had bought the van in September 2020 for £23k and insured it at that value. Managed to get a total loss settlement of £27k with a bit of pushing. I wasn’t over the moon with that figure but it wasn’t too far off the cost of a like for like van at the time. Overall they were pretty efficient in dealing with the claim.

My insurance is with Brentacre and is due for renewal again soon and I’m also thinking my current van is worth more now than when I bought it. I’d be keen to hear how you get on if you look elsewhere.

If your van is worth significantly more than the market value of a standard van, then I would strongly recommend you take out an agreed value policy.

If your van is worth significantly more than the market value of a standard van, then I would strongly recommend you take out an agreed value policy.
Let me clarify that comment. With a market-value policy, if you increase the value you put down for your van, then you might end up paying a higher premium, but you won't end up with a higher pay-out if the worst happens - the maximum the insurer will pay-out is the market value for your van. With an agreed-value policy, the insurer is obliged to pay out that value in the event of a total loss (and if they don't, the insurance ombudsman is your friend - they have big boots and they will use them in that situation).

Last edited:
All these comments about market value and insurance payouts - isn’t this what GAP insurance is for?

Never take the dealer offered GAP as it is too dear, but somewhere like ALA will provide ‘return to invoice’ cover for around £100 for a year. just swapped my current GAP policy from my Mini JCW to my new (used) Kombi for the remainder.

I‘ve had GAP insurance on various cars and vans for about 5 years - never had to use it but you hope that’s the same with all insurance products.

For insurance I was with Aviva and when I tried to add mods like spoilers and wheels they were ok, but they don’t cover lowered suspension. So I got a quote from APlan and Brentacre - both use Markerstudy and Brentacre was about £75 cheaper.

So I’ve just swapped insurance from Aviva to Brentacre and am happy with the experience with Brentacre so far - any mod that doesn’t increase BHP is free apparently.

Back