Brand New T6.1 (0 Days Old) Barn Doors Won't Open

fireblade669

Hello everyone, I'm brand new here having received my T6.1 yesterday. During the walk-around everything worked but this morning I tried to open the rear Barn Doors and I heard the mechanism go but nothing happened.

Being an engineering sort, I took the ply lining covering the mechanism off and immediately saw that there's a very thin threaded rod which goes into a plastic ball join. It is pulled upwards by the door opening motor and has simply pulled the rod through the plastic thread (not a big surprise as it's very fine thread).

It looks to me like they've changed this component recently as I don't recall there being issues before but I'd be grateful for any input on whether this is a known issue.

The van has just been delivered and it's on Contract Hire, so I'm contemplating rejecting the vehicle if it's a design flaw. I'm not even slightly tempted to start the too-ing and fro-ing trying to sort a brand new vehicle. I've obviously written an email today to the Contract Hire firm to explain the problem.

Any input gratefully received as right now, I can't open the rear doors without some disassembly and haven't driven the vehicle yet. Just feeling a bit frustrated! Hopefully there's a known fix that they can do but on a brand new model, it seems they might be about to get a storm of unhappy users!

hmm . . . .

i had this > Rear Barn Doors Door Lock Wont Open- My18

and ironically has the same issue again 12mnths down the road . . .,

T6 Common Faults & Problems - - Check Here First -

any chance of a few pics of the lock carrier assembly to see whats changed?
Hi Dell, thanks for the reply.

I'll pop outside and get a photo of it later on and post. Was advised to book it into a dealer to get it looked at which I've refused to do with a vehicle I've just had delivered. I'll hit the VW Assist button instead I think and then consider my options. Really want to get it sorted as I do love the Transporter.

Here's a photo of the offending component (circled). This is it pushed in and about to pop out on the next opening. Click here to see a hi-res version. The nylon connector it's going into is actually a snap-clip, and doesn't even appear to be threaded. Very strange set up if you ask me!

20200203_160858.jpg

So here's the repair done by Bury St Edmunds VW. They've sent photos and video of the issue to Germany along with photos of their fix. They said they've now had at least 2 more people get in touch with T6.1 Wing Door issues.

Sorry about the useless photo but I can't take the panel off just yet. You can see the fix though. Holes drilled in the clip and some 2 pack squidged in.

door3.png

Back