Brake Fluid Change And Type

MrTesco

T6 Pro
Having a friend change my front disc and pads next week and also brake fluid change as it is recommended by VW. Anyway is the standard Dot 4 correct as it shows it meets certain standards but does not show the VW standard shown on there own brake fluid?

I have a look online and these both come up so what are peoples thoughts / advice please ?

The ATE SL6 says its designed for moden systems with esp etc ?

Thank you in advance Screenshot_20190504-170557_Samsung Internet.jpg

ATE SL6 is the stuff to use. It's OEM on a lot of the German makes, and exceeds Dot4 in terms of temperatures. Euro Car Parts is the place to buy too, but oddly the 5L is only available for delivery, not click and collect. Much more economical to buy it that way than in individual litres.

The Pagid is the equivalent of training lager. I wouldn't leave it in something long term, but is available to collect at ECP. Once used a whole 5 litres of this to bleed the clutch on my old Vivaro...o_O

Its worth pointing out that brake fluid is hygroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air over time so once opened it cant be left on the shelf for a few years

Next time you change fluid you will want to buy some fresh stuff

Forgot to ask how much would i need for a full change?

Apparently the parts guy at the local dealer said it doesnt show him how much is needed

A 5L tin will be plenty to flush through and top up the reservoir. You might get away with 3-4 litres, but 3-4 litres in singles is more expensive than a 5L tin of SL6.

Interesting stuff but do shop around. The price on ECP for 5lt of SL6 is £41.99 but on the ebal store of CarParts4less , which I believe is ECP, its £26.99, a good saving.

Without hijacking Mr Tescos thread, can I ask if there are any problems with the ABS when doing a Brake fluid change? I would think there wouldn't be just as long as no air gets into the system.

Without hijacking Mr Tescos thread, can I ask if there are any problems with the ABS when doing a Brake fluid change? I would think there wouldn't be just as long as no air gets into the system.

You're right. Get air in and you have to put the ABS module in a bleed setting via VCDS to run the modulator whilst you force fluid though. Same with all ABS units.

ECP have a token RRP of £42. It's another discount weekend, just like SCS/DFS, with 37% off now, so £26.50 !

Back