Brake Bleeding - sequence?

Urbanfox

Bri
T6 Guru
In the not too distant future, I intend to replace my rear disks and pads,Brembo. While I'm at it I will also replace the brake fluid.
Is the sequence for bleeding, rear offside, rear nearside, front offside and front nearside? I'm just going off the position of the abs not the cylinder.
Thanks for any help.

From the manual:

A pre-pressure of 2 bar is required to bleed the hydraulic system.
Open bleeder valves in the specified order and bleed brake callipers.
  • Front right brake calliper
  • Front left brake calliper
  • Rear right brake calliper
  • Rear left brake calliper

From the manual:

2 bar (29.4psi) seems very high, slightly more than the max pressure rating of my Sealey tool. I’ll be doing a fluid change soon, hopefully the T6 reservoir can take it without cracking.
I did a Vauxhall a few days ago at 10psi.

From the manual:

I wasn't far out was I.:mad::mad::mad::D
Forgot to say, THANKS.

Last edited:
2 bar (29.4psi) seems very high, slightly more than the max pressure rating of my Sealey tool. I’ll be doing a fluid change soon, hopefully, the T6 reservoir can take it without cracking.
I did a Vauxhall a few days ago at 10psi.
I was about to buy a Sealey bleeder and would like to know how you get on if you do yours soon.
Thanks
Bri

As you can tell it is a long long time ago when I did brakes or any other mechanical services on cars, stripped engines down, and refurbed them in my youth and loads of other needs must jobs.
Having looked at quite a number of vlogs on bleeding brakes just to catch up, they all tend to start at the rear furthest away and work forward.
Looking at the post from LOZ, thank you, we start at the front on the T6 and work back. I wonder why we differ from others or are others getting it wrong?
Curiosity and a need to Know.

Strange sequence, normal procedure was always to bleed the longest pipework first. Anyone know the reasoning to do it the other way around on a T6?

@Urbanfox I wouldn't think others were getting it wrong as that's the way brakes have been bled for decades.

PS can't find a way of bleeding the Beetle brakes ;)

Strange sequence, normal procedure was always to bleed the longest pipework first. Anyone know the reasoning to do it the other way around on a T6?

@Urbanfox I wouldn't think others were getting it wrong as that's the way brakes have been bled for decades.

The last time I did brakes was on an Austin 1100 and a Reliant Robin after fitting new copper brake pipes that I made and flared. I think I only got shut of the flaring tool a year or to back!!! So, don't think I bothered where to start then and this ear internet thingy was nowhere to be seen. All Haynes manuals. I can't believe you can't find details for such an Iconic car like the Beetle, its been around since Hitler was a lad.

The last time I did brakes was on an Austin 1100 and a Reliant Robin after fitting new copper brake pipes that I made and flared. I think I only got shut of the flaring tool a year or to back!!! So, don't think I bothered where to start then and this ear internet thingy was nowhere to be seen. All Haynes manuals. I can't believe you can't find details for such an Iconic car like the Beetle, its been around since Hitler was a lad.

Ah but you've not spotted the year of the Beetle (1946), it's not got hydraulic brakes they are cable operated, and no equalisers either! Just to puzzle you a bit more, there is no synchromesh on any gear in the gearbox and the steering wheel is on the 'wrong side'.

As far as I’m aware the sequence is specified to thoroughly remove air from the ABS unit, ie after changing a master cylinder etc.
If you only have air in a caliper from a hose change or just flushing / changing fluid the sequence should not make a difference.
That said it’s no extra work just to follow the sequence In the manual.

As far as I’m aware the sequence is specified to thoroughly remove air from the ABS unit, ie after changing a master cylinder etc.
If you only have air in a caliper from a hose change or just flushing / changing fluid the sequence should not make a difference.
That said it’s no extra work just to follow the sequence In the manual.
That sounds quite logical, thanks.

I was about to buy a Sealey bleeder and would like to know how you get on if you do yours soon.
Thanks
Bri
The Sealey tool is good quality, if anything the pick up hose in the pressure vessel is a little short so it can result in wasted fluid. I extended mine by approx 15mm using a plastic hose barb to reduce wastage.
I haven’t used it on a T6 yet but I’ll let you know what pressure is needed to get a decent flow.

Ah but you've not spotted the year of the Beetle (1946), it's not got hydraulic brakes they are cable operated, and no equalisers either! Just to puzzle you a bit more, there is no synchromesh on any gear in the gearbox and the steering wheel is on the 'wrong side'.
And the engine is in the back!!!! Where they a crash gearbox? A mate of mine had one when I was In the Army at Osnabruck 1970. He was always taking the engine out to do some job or other!!!
One car I never had but almost bought an iIlman imp once but couldna get it into reverse gear so didn't buy it. And now Im messing about with a T6, must be stark raving.

Old beetles with 6v lights, a real challenge to drive on dark country lanes at night. Years later VW doubled the voltage but kept the same light output on the T6.

Old beetles with 6v lights, a real challenge to drive on dark country lanes at night. Years later VW doubled the voltage but kept the same light output on the T6.
Yep, vaguely remember the 6v. Hasn't production ceased now of the Beetle? Didn't the move it to Brasil or somewhere.

Yes it's still 6v, it's kept as original as possible although most of the bulbs are LED mostly for safety on our busy roads. I have driven it to central Germany twice since the restoration was completed, a 1200 mile round trip in modern traffic conditions can be a challenge especially when it's only got 25 horses to pull it along! Although having the T6 as support vehicle does make things a little easier.

Thanks
Bri
Did a fluid change today with the Sealey tool, I used 1.5L and used a pressure of 1.5 bar.
The Sealey tool is well made.

Back