Under Engine Cover Protection?

@xpfloyd here you go and I spent over an hour searching because I knew I had seen another thread with pictures. In the discussion area "Exterior Styling, Bodywork & Detailing" the thread is "Under engine cover/sump cover plate" on page 4. Hope this gives you what you are looking for.

Last edited:
@xpfloyd I think you'll agree that fitting can be DIY but manufacture is best left to the profis, especially if you want access to the sump plug without removing the whole protective plate.

@xpfloyd I know that it is tempting to go for the cheaper one but the major disadvantage is that it has to be removed every time an oil change is carried out.
With VW service intervals of 2 years, many owners of these costly vans choose to have an oil change every 10k miles or every year whichever comes first. You can either do the oil change yourself or get a local garage to do it (using the correct spec oil) but the Labour charge goes up if the protective plate has to be removed and replaced and you are also less likely to DIY.
The choice is yours :thumbsup:;).

I have been under and had a look again. The sump seems very vulnerable, and also the clutch/gearbox.

I have to wonder that it needs something in steel.

There are 4 threaded holes in the chassis to bolt into, but they are not placed as far back as the sump, so it would have to be thick enough plate to span back, and do the job of protection.

I am going to make a mock up in cardboard and see just what the job is. I will have to do something. It is a big bill waiting to happen.

@tram ... Ooooh can't beat a bit of stainless... Might even do that to my kombi to protect it from all the sleeping policemen! :eek::):rofl:

@tram I fear that may well be insufficient and that you might only get you partial protection. I suspect VW would not fit the full length pan to the Kombi if a smaller guard would suffice. Your idea is laudable but may prove to be false economy.

Right, laid on road and took these poor pics..

Fixed using more than 4bolts, goes over whole of engine bottom..

image.jpeg from front.
image.jpeg from side
image.jpeg from front, pan ends on cross member
image.jpeg from back showing cross member

This is plastic..

Yes the VW one is plastic and has 6 fixing bolts, just looked at the paper work again and the part is listed as cover with sound deadening
I have had mine off before and it seems like a decent lump of plastic, think it will take a fair old wallop to get through it, i reckon its designed with water/mud/gravel in mind, if you drop the weight of the van onto the plastic over a large rock etc it wont stand a chance but then what would.

@Pauly Thank you for that clarification, sir :thumbsup:. I guess a steel one would also change the handling a bit because of the extra weight on the front suspension. As a matter of interest is the 4Motion one plastic too?

@Pauly sorry, I thought the one pictured by @Willoughby had access to the sump drain plug. I had seen this link and the unit here has no sump access and the plate has to be removed completely to drain the sump.

Back