Bottle Jack -

I just bought a 2 tonne bottle jack and 3 tonne axle stands. It's rated higher than the maximum axle load so it's fine plus you will only be lifting part of the weight at any one time. No need to go mental as long as you buy a decent make

Last edited:
I've got a 4tonne one. Virtually the same price and size as the 2tonne version they were also selling. Made sense to me to go for the higher rated one.

With my van being lowered on B14s I couldn't get the next size up as it didn't fit in the gap but the 2T has got enough capacity and it's 100% safer than the dodgy jack VW supply .

With my van being lowered on B14s I couldn't get the next size up as it didn't fit in the gap but the 2T has got enough capacity and it's 100% safer than the dodgy jack VW supply .
Spoke too soon. Went to actually use the jack today (only got it this week) and it can't lift the van high enough to get a wheel off. So I either need to use the dodgy vw one or carry my larger trolley jack in the van

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will go for a 4 ton, just to be safe.

xpfloyd, sorry to hear of your issues! What height does your jack go to as this will now have to be considered!

@gmaster - with my van being lowered I only had 200mm space to get the jack in (180mm below front jacking point as it's lower) so could only get a 2T jack. The jack is 153mm minimum but there's a screw out section you use to close the gap before actually jacking. I think it then allowed 100mm of lift (would have to check that tonight) but it wasn't enough to lift the wheel clear of the ground

@xpfloyd Thanks again for the reply. I too will have the same issue as you as I am pretty much fully lowered on B14's too!!!

I may need to start re-thinking this.

Yeah for me it looks like when doing anything at home I'm best using my trolley jack and for changing a flat tyre when out in van it will have to be the vw scissor jack that comes with the van

The one I got was very close to lifting the tyre so if you can fit either of those in it should be fine (I think!). I can't fit either of them under the front jacking Point though

What about a small air jack and just jack up the wishbone instead of the whole van?

My bottle jack would probably fit under the wish bone, I just wasn't sure if I could do that. I'll give it a try later

My bottle jack would probably fit under the wish bone, I just wasn't sure if I could do that. I'll give it a try later
Because the angle of the wishbone changes as you jack it, you need to be carefull how you position it and if necessary you might need to make a small adapter out of something like polymorph to make sure it doesn't slip.

It would be good if someone could recommend a trolley jack that they actually use that lifts a T6 high enough to remove a wheel. Even with 16s mine didn't lift high enough without a fence post wedged inbetween

I tried my 2 tonne trolley jack tonight and although I managed to lift the tyre clear of the ground my jack wheels were actually digging into the tar! Don't know if it's due to it being a scorcher today. In the end I used the 1.5 tonne scissor jack that came with the van and it worked fine. It's just really awkward to operate

Yeah been unbelievably hot today! I never got a jack with my van cos it has no spare wheel due to the waste water tank taking up that space

Back