Bought a 5 Ton bottle-jack

I had exactly the same problem, resulting in SWMBO having to get up one night and bring me my 17m deep socket and wrench. She was not a happy camper and suggested I called the RAC but as I was only 3 miles from home I didn’t want to hang around :). One larger torque wrench and trolley jack later and all is good with the world again. One bit of advise though, if I may, don’t leave the original wrench behind as the end that looks squeezed shut is needed to release the spare wheel from underneath. :thumbsup:

I had exactly the same problem, resulting in SWMBO having to get up one night and bring me my 17m deep socket and wrench. She was not a happy camper and suggested I called the RAC but as I was only 3 miles from home I didn’t want to hang around :). One larger torque wrench and trolley jack later and all is good with the world again. One bit of advise though, if I may, don’t leave the original wrench behind as the end that looks squeezed shut is needed to release the spare wheel from underneath. :thumbsup:
Every day is a school day. I’ll get mine out of the cellar later and put it back in the van. Thanks.

I had a 1.00 in the morning rainy nightmare on the side of the road concerning jacks not extending high enough, I always do a trial run now with a new vehicle and more importantly carry a Can of Holts tyre weld.

After finding out the wench or the factory jack were unusable with the new wheels and the side bars. I’m now able to change a wheel if needed.
@Bazaboy66. Have you actually used the jack yet? I ask as I've got the same model and if the tyre is fully deflated, there's simply not enough room to get it under the jacking point even when it's fully 'compressed'. The only way to use it in the event of a puncture is to try to get a bit of air into the tyre so that it's inflated enough to give you a bit more height. Of course, that also presupposes that the hole in the tyre isn't too big to allow that.

Last edited:
@Bazaboy66. Have you actually used the jack yet? I ask as I've got the same model and if the tyre is fully deflated, there's simply not enough room to get it under the jacking point even when it's fully 'compressed'. The only way to use it in the event of a puncture is to try to get a bit of air into the tyre so that it's inflated enough to give you a bit more height. Of course, that also presupposes that the hole in the tyre isn't too big to allow that.
Oh, I was just considering buying one! Think this is due to lowered suspension or something, or is this likely the case for standard height vans too?

Back