bonnet paint!

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
When I polished the paint for the first time last September.....I noticed some small opaque blemishes in the clearcoat on my bonnet. I thought at the time, it might have been airborne pollution and thought I'd polished them out.........well, while polishing the bodywork this afternoon, I noticed them again! Hard to describe but it almost looks like an air bubble.....you can't feel anything....they definitely aren't stone chips. The paint is blackberry.....if it had been a lighter colour, I doubt anyone would notice.
Anyone any ideas? Think a call to the dealer is in order as I don't want them turning round in the future and saying it's something I've done! :(

When I polished the paint for the first time last September.....I noticed some small opaque blemishes in the clearcoat on my bonnet. I thought at the time, it might have been airborne pollution and thought I'd polished them out.........well, while polishing the bodywork this afternoon, I noticed them again! Hard to describe but it almost looks like an air bubble.....you can't feel anything....they definitely aren't stone chips. The paint is blackberry.....if it had been a lighter colour, I doubt anyone would notice.
Anyone any ideas? Think a call to the dealer is in order as I don't want them turning round in the future and saying it's something I've done! :(
Had something like these on another vehicle, took it back and they put some heat lamps on it and it cleared up. Said it was moisture

Had something like these on another vehicle, took it back and they put some heat lamps on it and it cleared up. Said it was moisture
hmmmm, that's interesting. Could be tempted to warm up the paint gently with a heat gun? Thanks for that Amped.....I'd post some photo's but I don't think they'd show up?

My old grey Cali was a shocker; within a year the bonnet looked like it had been shot with a shotgun.
This one doesn't have a mark at almost a year old.

My old grey Cali was a shocker; within a year the bonnet looked like it had been shot with a shotgun.
This one doesn't have a mark at almost a year old.
No not stone chips.....though there are some small ones.......this is something under the lacquer.

Sorry I did realise it's a different issue, just noting that my T6 paint seems a lot better than my T5.1 paint.
just thought we'd got our wires crossed Polzeylad. TBH, I've been surprised that mine had any stone chips.....I don't tailgate and I drive like miss daisy these days.....North Yorks is camera van central......there's one round every bloody corner!!!!!!

I don't think the paint thickness is the best on the t6 bonnet I've got just over 3000 miles on the van it's 7 months old 5 or 6 stone chips on the bonnet, I don't tailgate either

Paint thickness doesn't matter.
Bmw use a ceramic clearcoat on their modern cars. It's quite thick and very hard and scratch resistant to a certain degree.
However this makes it brittle and I get allot of customers with chipped bonnets. It's also highly suseptable to chemical burn from bird crap.

I have many Chips on my van even on the side. X mil thickness of paint isn't going to hold up to tiny stones hitting a 2 tonne van travelling at speed.
Road salt is the worst as that can't be heard and the stone particles shatter on impact.
Most stone chips happen from cars in the opposite carriageway flicking over the road.

Back