Bobbling noise...!!!!

Hi, I've got a bobbling noise coming from the rear of my T6, it happens when I go over certain surfaces i.e rough tarmac concrete roads e.t.c its been there since I picked the van up it's done just over a 1000 miles now.! The vans been back into VW at (Cleckheaton) Bradford where I purchased it New from, twice now the first time they said it was the tailgate that needed adjusting which they did but the noise came back straightaway the second time yesterday they've basically done nothing and said they can't hear anything..??! I've been told to let it develop...?? It's driving me mad I want a second opinion how do I go about this.? Can I take it to another VW commercial dealer and get them to look at it under warranty..? Thanks Guys

@Brett Patterson mine does it too. My noise is definitely the tailgate latch rattling against the receiver. To prove it you can try tying the tailgate handle to the back of something in the van, I used my Kombi bed leg. This should stop the sound as it holds the tailgate firmly against the rubber seal. As soon as I untied it the rattle would return.

I've had the dealer adjust it a couple of times now only for it to start again after a day or two, but my dealers seem to be a bunch of idiots so I think all they did was to grease the receivers on the side of the door, next time I'll adjust it myself.
I believe all you have to do is slacken off the two screws on the latch receiver just above the number plate area and move it back a little and re-tighten. I've not done it yet as I t has stopped at the moment probably due to the warmer weather expanding something.

Thanks alot for that... I'll try that when I get home from work..!! The Dealers are just a set of useless t@ats imo..! They're not lazy when it comes to taking your money tho..! I was promised a 5 star service it's there new apparently..!!? I've received more like 1 star service upto press..! Love this forum great people who wanna help each other..! Cheers

The problem I find with dealers is they want to be paid for every job they do so unless there is a clear defined issue/fault they can't invoice VW for warranty work and don't get paid, that's why I think they always try to dismiss minor things (in their eyes) like squeaks and rattles

Quick update on the noise... I've tried ratchet strapping tight the grab handle/loop on the inside of the tailgate to one of the legs on my rear seats, took for a drive and noise still present also removed the jack to eliminate that noise still present...!! I shouldn't have to be doing my own fault finding on a brand new van..?!! I've got the email address for VW customer care I think this is going to be my next avenue is to complain..!? What do you guys think..?

Quick update on the noise... I've tried ratchet strapping tight the grab handle/loop on the inside of the tailgate to one of the legs on my rear seats, took for a drive and noise still present also removed the jack to eliminate that noise still present...!! I shouldn't have to be doing my own fault finding on a brand new van..?!! I've got the email address for VW customer care I think this is going to be my next avenue is to complain..!? What do you guys think..?
Brett
Did you ever get to the bottom of your rear end noise???

When I got mine the first thing I did was to sound proof and insulate it, on taking the rear passenger panel off there were a block of relays not fixed to the wheel arch they were just rattling around. Maybe the same could be with yours? All I did was get a new 10 mm bolt to fix it.

Yeah Dickie, I took my van to a different commercial centre at Sheffield for a second opinion, the mechanic there was much better and assured me the noise I was hearing was simply the function of the rear shocks, he told me that because I don't carry weight in the back of my van i.e tools e.t.c the noise will be worse but should get better as time goes on and the shocks settle..?! I told him I was fitting a set of coilovers and basically he told me by doing that the problem would ne solved by removing the original shockers.! I've fitted the kit and the noise has completely disappeared..!! So happy with it now

Brett
I noticed that when my tailgate door is shut you can push it and it will move in and out about 10mm when it's locked. I am hoping that is the nosie I can hear. I have the van booked in for a service and am getting vw to have a look at it.

Back