Black Coolant [Resolved]

ZC92

Hi all,
I drive a 2016 TDI250 - love the thing. I’ve done just over 47,000kms in her mainly to and from work and on weekend camping adventures. She’s been serviced every 10,000kms with the last one 1 month ago, where the diesel filter was renewed.
2 days ago I went to Newcastle and back (300km return) , nothing she hasn’t done before, I used to work there so it’s a semi regular occurrence that the short trips through the city and to the beach turn into a 2hour stretch on the highway, never had any troubles.
Yesterday when I started her up the coolant temperature light began flashing with the warning text “check coolant owners manual” ... no light was shed from consulting the book, “seek expert advice” it says on page 255.
Coolant level is fine, oil temp is normal, engine temp is normal, no funny whistles or noises, all hoses look to be in place, I can’t see any leaks... HOWEVER MY COOLANT IS NOW BLACK, not sure if it’s oil in the coolant or grime in general...has anyone seen this before? Other diesel forums were saying it could be a blown head gasket or a cracker oil cooler...what do you guys think?

8233868F-9DF7-42BC-A88A-D9FB43E28C9A.jpeg

image.jpg

Could be either but seems a little early in its life for head gasket troubles, whatever it is I reckon it's serious enough to get it straight to a dealers
I assume your still under warranty ?

Could be either but seems a little early in its life for head gasket troubles, whatever it is I reckon it's serious enough to get it straight to a dealers
Yep still under manufacturers warranty
Just dropped it at the dealer, doesn’t look like it’s an easy fix ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same thing on my T5. It was the oil cooler as suggested above. I pitty the tech that has to try and sort that out, it was a nightmare and i never actually got it back to normal, there always seemed to be a smell of oil and also the tank never went back to clear. Good luck with it.

Mines had a new cylinder head fitted at 34k 66 plate

Back