MPG - Shuttle 102PS

Mike1969

T6 Pro
Hi all. Would value your opinions / comments.
2 weeks in to ownership now and love it - except the fuel economy. Mixed driving - when on a motorway cruise is set to 70. Otherwise gentle driving with a light right foot.

Just filled up and worked out my mpg - 26!
2019 Shuttle, 102 5 speed manual.

I wasn’t expecting amazing fuel economy but I wasn’t expecting 3.0 petrol Jag fuel economy either.
thoughts?

How many miles has it done? Mine approaching 10k and loosening up nicely. Whenever I’ve checked mine (calculated on a full fill rather than trip computer) its high 30s with mixed driving. Mine is 102 too!

The engine will be "Super Tight" for the first 2-4k miles depending on driving styles. (run in period to normal operation)

then continue to loosen up to even 8k as some people have reported.

then do a full tant to tank test got get the average MPG over the whole tank,

Then repeat . . . The more data you get the more accurate it will be . . . .

How many miles has it done? Mine approaching 10k and loosening up nicely. Whenever I’ve checked mine (calculated on a full fill rather than trip computer) its high 30s with mixed driving. Mine is 102 too!
Just turned 9000 - maybe it’s a bit new still and needs to loosen up?

And yes - worked this out manually on a full tank - not relying on the computer as whatever car you have they’re always out

OP

just remember, the manufacturers claimed mpg is never achieved .......

OP

just remember, the manufacturers claimed mpg is never achieved .......

These words have appeared on every forum I've ever been a member of and I always find it really strange. I've managed to outperform the factory mpg figures on every vehicle I've ever owned! I don't feel like I'm driving particularly slowly either. Granted my 6.1 has only just had it's first taste of fuel from me so I've not been able to calculate the actuals as yet but the trip computer is showing high 30s for mainly city driving. I've got a 199 DSG Caravelle Exec.

Maybe I'll eat my words when I start the real calculations - I've never owned a van before so I'm coming at the experience expecting generally high consumption so I won't be disappointed if I regularly get kicked hard in the wallet.

I’ve got a 102 PS camper conversion and managed about 42mpg calculated from fill to fill over 1000 miles to Scotland and back in August. Normally get about 38mpg on a mix of roads.

Maybe I'll eat my words when I start the real calculations - I've never owned a van before so I'm coming at the experience expecting generally high consumption so I won't be disappointed if I regularly get kicked hard in the wallet.

I’ve had my 150 bhp manual Kombi for nearly 3 years. Logged all fill ups manually

lowest mpg 29, highest 41, average 31

I don’t drive it hard, I don’t carry much weight, but lots of shortish journeys

the 41 was driving like a granny for over 300 miles

good luck

These words have appeared on every forum I've ever been a member of and I always find it really strange. I've managed to outperform the factory mpg figures on every vehicle I've ever owned! I don't feel like I'm driving particularly slowly either. Granted my 6.1 has only just had it's first taste of fuel from me so I've not been able to calculate the actuals as yet but the trip computer is showing high 30s for mainly city driving. I've got a 199 DSG Caravelle Exec.

Yes, the barn door aerodynamics will make it hard. I’m now averaging 40 which I’m pleased with. And yes, I’ve beaten official mpg figures in cars - bit harder in a van

Hi everyone, bit of advice please.

A few months ago I bought a 68 plate diesel Shuttle, 32,000 miles with FSH. I’ve had it remapped by Pendle tuning, it was 102 bhp, now 164. It has 20” alloys.

We are only managing around 24.1 mpg. Most of the driving is local - short runs with the engine not getting up to temp but even on a recent camping trip to Edinburgh, it still stayed the same. We were fully laden (me, wife, 3 kids, roof box) and on the 200 mile round trip, it was still on 24.1.

I have reset the trip and it’s crept back to 24.1.

I had a 66 plate 150bhp T6 Kombi a few years back as a work van and flogged the life out of it and managed to get late 30’s / early 40’s.

Is this all I should expect from the Shuttle?

Hi everyone, bit of advice please.

A few months ago I bought a 68 plate diesel Shuttle, 32,000 miles with FSH. I’ve had it remapped by Pendle tuning, it was 102 bhp, now 164. It has 20” alloys.

We are only managing around 24.1 mpg. Most of the driving is local - short runs with the engine not getting up to temp but even on a recent camping trip to Edinburgh, it still stayed the same. We were fully laden (me, wife, 3 kids, roof box) and on the 200 mile round trip, it was still on 24.1.

I have reset the trip and it’s crept back to 24.1.

I had a 66 plate 150bhp T6 Kombi a few years back as a work van and flogged the life out of it and managed to get late 30’s / early 40’s.

Is this all I should expect from the Shuttle?
Doesn’t seem right. I don’t know what to suggest.

I have a 67 plate 204 biturbo, and I rarely fall below 30mpg.

Have you calculated mpg yourself or just used the MFD? I never fully trust the MFD. first thing I would do is calculate the mpg myself after a filling up to full.

I have a 204 DSG, with Swamper wheels and tyres, I would say half loaded, or at least 40% loaded with tools dry suits etc. I just did a 502 mile round trip to the West Country and after filling back up calculated 41.88mpg the MFD was broadly similar. I would caveat that with I only drive at truck speeds and just chugg along somewhere around 55/60 mph. Wind assistance definitely helps, and hinders if it’s against. To get 24 seems low to me, but we all drive different and in varying conditions, so it’s not terribly scientific.

Ideally fill tank to top and take mileage then refill is the only real true way
Old fashioned but it works with correct results

Am wondering if the mfd is incorrect as the average speed seems stuck at 23mph. Will try an old fashioned fill up calculation.

We do seem to be spending quite a bit on fuel but that said, the majority of trips are short and fuel is very expensive currently!

Wha was the consumption before remapping?
With roof rack 24 mpg seems about right driving at 70/75 mph.

I only drove about 250 miles before I had it remapped so I’m not so sure what it was like before. I have took the rear seats out and replaced them with a slide pod but I reckon the pod and the seats weigh about the same?

That would not affect mpg to that extent.
Motorway you should be able to see 33/35 mpg easily without roof rack at 70/75mph.
Town hard to say. There is town and town :)
I have seen low as 18mpg in winter and cold engine, driving for 3-4 miles per trip.

Short trips are an mpg killer.
At 50-55 I see 40-45 mpg and at 85mph on a long run it’s about 33mpg. 199 engine.

Tank to tank. Ignore dash until you have verified it’s accurate or not.

Back