Bit worried - 29MPG - Shuttle 102PS

Mike1969

T6 Pro
Hi all. Would value your opinions / comments.
2 weeks in to ownership now and love it - except the fuel economy. Mixed driving - when on a motorway cruise is set to 70. Otherwise gentle driving with a light right foot.

Just filled up and worked out my mpg - 26!
2019 Shuttle, 102 5 speed manual.

I wasn’t expecting amazing fuel economy but I wasn’t expecting 3.0 petrol Jag fuel economy either.
thoughts?

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
How many miles has it done? Mine approaching 10k and loosening up nicely. Whenever I’ve checked mine (calculated on a full fill rather than trip computer) its high 30s with mixed driving. Mine is 102 too!

Dellmassive

204 T32 DSG LWB SPORTLINE PV MY18
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
The engine will be "Super Tight" for the first 2-4k miles depending on driving styles. (run in period to normal operation)

then continue to loosen up to even 8k as some people have reported.

then do a full tant to tank test got get the average MPG over the whole tank,

Then repeat . . . The more data you get the more accurate it will be . . . .

Mike1969

T6 Pro
How many miles has it done? Mine approaching 10k and loosening up nicely. Whenever I’ve checked mine (calculated on a full fill rather than trip computer) its high 30s with mixed driving. Mine is 102 too!
Just turned 9000 - maybe it’s a bit new still and needs to loosen up?

Mike1969

T6 Pro
And yes - worked this out manually on a full tank - not relying on the computer as whatever car you have they’re always out

DarrenTT

VIP Member
T6 Pro
300miles in on new 199ps 4motion dsg getting 22.3 mpg and I’m driving on economy mode like I’m driving miss daisy. Hopefully things loosen up or I’m getting a tow ball fitted to tow a fuel bowser to get from a2b
Even filled up with shell ultimate

Last edited:

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
OP

just remember, the manufacturers claimed mpg is never achieved .......

ScottyMac

T6 Pro
OP

just remember, the manufacturers claimed mpg is never achieved .......

These words have appeared on every forum I've ever been a member of and I always find it really strange. I've managed to outperform the factory mpg figures on every vehicle I've ever owned! I don't feel like I'm driving particularly slowly either. Granted my 6.1 has only just had it's first taste of fuel from me so I've not been able to calculate the actuals as yet but the trip computer is showing high 30s for mainly city driving. I've got a 199 DSG Caravelle Exec.

Maybe I'll eat my words when I start the real calculations - I've never owned a van before so I'm coming at the experience expecting generally high consumption so I won't be disappointed if I regularly get kicked hard in the wallet.

Spaghetti

Blackberry Highline Camper.
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I’ve got a 102 PS camper conversion and managed about 42mpg calculated from fill to fill over 1000 miles to Scotland and back in August. Normally get about 38mpg on a mix of roads.

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Maybe I'll eat my words when I start the real calculations - I've never owned a van before so I'm coming at the experience expecting generally high consumption so I won't be disappointed if I regularly get kicked hard in the wallet.

I’ve had my 150 bhp manual Kombi for nearly 3 years. Logged all fill ups manually

lowest mpg 29, highest 41, average 31

I don’t drive it hard, I don’t carry much weight, but lots of shortish journeys

the 41 was driving like a granny for over 300 miles

good luck

Mike1969

T6 Pro
300miles in on new 199ps 4motion dsg getting 22.3 mpg and I’m driving on economy mode like I’m driving miss daisy. Hopefully things loosen up or I’m getting a tow ball fitted to tow a fuel bowser to get from a2b
Even filled up with shell ultimate
Stick with it - since my post things have improved. I’m now getting better than 40. On motorways clicking the cruise to 65 rather than 70 seems to make a massive difference

Mike1969

T6 Pro
These words have appeared on every forum I've ever been a member of and I always find it really strange. I've managed to outperform the factory mpg figures on every vehicle I've ever owned! I don't feel like I'm driving particularly slowly either. Granted my 6.1 has only just had it's first taste of fuel from me so I've not been able to calculate the actuals as yet but the trip computer is showing high 30s for mainly city driving. I've got a 199 DSG Caravelle Exec.

Yes, the barn door aerodynamics will make it hard. I’m now averaging 40 which I’m pleased with. And yes, I’ve beaten official mpg figures in cars - bit harder in a van