Bilstein Komfort sitting higher on one side

PaddyF

Finally after years of deliberation I’ve got my Van- 3 yr old T6 combi T32. It’s the biturbo engine, which I was hesitant about after reading all the issues with the EGR unit but I thought I would risk it anyway (finding a VW these days that ticks all the boxes and comes in on budget is finding a flying unicorn).
Love the extra bit of power but handling with the standard set up is awful so recently purchased a set of Bilstein Komfort coil overs and local garage fitted them. Ride has definitely improved. Very nice indeed.
But the rear drivers side wheel arch was 4cm higher than it opposite side, so I brought it back to the mechanic who fired them. Nice guy
Apparently the rear units are a real fiddle to adjust, as they extend up into the chassis, but the mechanic adjusted both sets so the same number of threads were visible on each side.
He advised me to drive it and let it settle, but there is still a 3cm difference between the height of the 2 rear wheel arches.
Now I am wondering if the unit is faulty, incorrectly fitted or missing a spacer.

All ideas?

it’s a T32 and it’s unloaded

thanks in advance

PaddyF

Have you got any photos of the rear setup. 3cm is quite a difference. I presume the van is evenly weighted inside.

Have you got any photos of the rear setup. 3cm is quite a difference. I presume the van is evenly weighted inside.
that’s what I thought. Standard 2 rows of seats but otherwise empty. Can hack her up and get some photos. Do you think they might be incorrectly fitted? Thanks

Finally after years of deliberation I’ve got my Van- 3 yr old T6 combi T32. It’s the biturbo engine, which I was hesitant about after reading all the issues with the EGR unit but I thought I would risk it anyway (finding a VW these days that ticks all the boxes and comes in on budget is finding a flying unicorn).
Love the extra bit of power but handling with the standard set up is awful so recently purchased a set of Bilstein Komfort coil overs and local garage fitted them. Ride has definitely improved. Very nice indeed.
But the rear drivers side wheel arch was 4cm higher than it opposite side, so I brought it back to the mechanic who fired them. Nice guy
Apparently the rear units are a real fiddle to adjust, as they extend up into the chassis, but the mechanic adjusted both sets so the same number of threads were visible on each side.
He advised me to drive it and let it settle, but there is still a 3cm difference between the height of the 2 rear wheel arches.
Now I am wondering if the unit is faulty, incorrectly fitted or missing a spacer.

All ideas?

it’s a T32 and it’s unloaded

thanks in advance

PaddyF
To establish if the spring is faulty simply swap the two rear springs side to side , if the problem moves the spring has collapsed , if it doesn’t you need to check the adjuster is seated properly , If that doesn’t help you may want to loosen all the control arm bolts and retighten at ride height

To establish if the spring is faulty simply swap the two rear springs side to side , if the problem moves the spring has collapsed , if it doesn’t you need to check the adjuster is seated properly , If that doesn’t help you may want to loosen all the control arm bolts and retighten at ride height
Thanks CRS - mechanic did exactly that; swapped over the rear springs and everything seems to have settled. I wonder if you might be right about the adjuster not seated properly to start with.
Have just taken her on her first real outing down to Cornwall. I have to say she handles beautifully on the fast sweeping curves of the A30. Very pleased with the Komforts.
Only issue now is the brakes need upgrading

That’s good news , I am not a fan of the Bilstein kits at all. But I hate to see customers being unhappy with these over priced kits And often not getting good support on them ,
glad you are happy though

Back