Bikes on rack whilst Towing

Minimilo

Miles Glover
T6 Pro
Afternoon, I have been down to the local dealership today to have a nose around a T6 Kombi. It has a tailgate and I would like a Genuine VW 4 bike rack fitted (this seems a great bit of kit). I regularly tow a caravan so I need to know if I can safely tow with bikes on rack. Putting bikes in the caravan is a no no and I don't particularly want them in the van. Does anybody use the rack and tow?
Thanks.

Anyone use a tailgate mounted bike carrier and towed caravan or is there simply not enough room to be able to turn??

Hi

Did you ever work this out?
Fortunately wont need to caravan/bike rack combo for this holiday, but will in the future and hoping it will work.

Thanks
Mark

Hi

Did you ever work this out?
Fortunately wont need to caravan/bike rack combo for this holiday, but will in the future and hoping it will work.

Thanks
Mark
Yeh, got the Atera Linea from roofbox.com and no problem, only used to carry 2 bikes with third inside. Might need to be careful with very tight turns.

I used a Fiamma carry-bike for the tailgate for many years with my T5 and Bailey caravan. Never had issues. I had the uprated gas struts so the boot would stay up on it's own with 2 bikes loaded. I could only just open and close the tailgate with the caravan hitched up as it would just touch the jockey wheel handle. I'll be transferring the carrier to my T6 over the next few weeks ( have bought the adaptor). Never had any problems making tight turns ( carrying 2 bikes, but room for 3 ) Some caravans may have longer A frames, so it may depend on your caravan. Our other 2 bikes go on the roof.

Purely out of curiosity, is there a reason why you cant load bikes into the caravan for travelling?

I've transported 2 bikes in the caravan before, but it needed a lot of securing to make sure the bikes didn't damage the furniture.
Also, we like to ride off road, so there's no guarantee of the bikes being clean and dry.
Our caravan is also in a storage yard so would just add more time having to take them off the rack when we get there. And again no guarantee they'd be dry.

I used a Fiamma carry-bike for the tailgate for many years with my T5 and Bailey caravan. Never had issues. I had the uprated gas struts so the boot would stay up on it's own with 2 bikes loaded. I could only just open and close the tailgate with the caravan hitched up as it would just touch the jockey wheel handle. I'll be transferring the carrier to my T6 over the next few weeks ( have bought the adaptor). Never had any problems making tight turns ( carrying 2 bikes, but room for 3 ) Some caravans may have longer A frames, so it may depend on your caravan. Our other 2 bikes go on the roof.
Thanks for sharing. And a great profile pic.

Back