Bike rack spares

VioletVW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
So, my van went in for it's first service (9000 miles) and I asked them to sort out a rattle in the rear drivers side. Anyway, had a call saying there were parts missing from my bike rack?? When I arrived they were dismantling two of the arms that hold the bikes on. Turns out the large black plastic bolts that you tighten with the bikes on were off and one of the two arm clips was missing. I heard a random bump heading home from work last Friday. So I headed to the spot where I heard the bump and found only one of the rubber protective covers from the end of the clip. No sign of the clip - gutted.

PXL_20230307_205905514.jpg

Replacing the end knobs is simple, already ordered from ebay (Thule 527), but does anyone know if I can pick up a single clip? The only place I can see one is here:

Seems a bit on the pricey side.....

Many thanks for the info!

It's the B model I have for my electric tailgate. I'll follow up.on the clamp number although I'm wondering if that is to connect it to the van. I only say this as the arm clamps are slightly different styles. The A style looks more modern than the B.

These look like the parts for the T5 style rack so this a great reference but it appears the bike clamps are only listed as the whole arm assembly and the clamps listed are the clamps that hold the rack on at the bottom which is annoying. I have this style rack and the clamps are showing signs of wear so will need replacing soon. Also looks like yours is power coated black and these parts are all the standard silver.

T5upgrades sell the racks power coated in black, might be worth asking them if they hold any spares

I've found the part number from VW: 1J0 071 779 (Retaining Clip)- Thanks Bognor!

Its £34 with VW, £33.12 with TPS and £38 with Campervantastic. Waiting on the LLL parts website to calculate a shipping cost.

Expensive mistake, not tightening up the 'Tommy' nuts....

The new 'tommy nuts' arrived this morning so that's one job ticked.

Had an email yesterday from LLL parts cancelling my order for the bike clamp. Gutted. They stated that the parts aren't being made anymore? A bit odd considering the genuine type 2 rack is still available to buy.

I rang TPS and they said they're on backorder and they're not sure of a delivery time.

So I then phoned the local VW dealer and they have ordered it for me. More expensive but hopefully it turns up soon. I'll also need to paint it but not that bothered about that just yet.

Slowly getting there.
PXL_20230311_115002489.jpg

Dealer was back in touch today. Item is on back order, so no delivery date...

I've gone and purchased a complete 4th bike arm. At least that comes with 2 clamps, like the one I have lost. I'll have a spare if I lose another... Not cheap though :(

Ended up buying a 4th arm for the type 1 rack, not really an issue in itself but want the original look so have returned that one

Then managed to get what I think is the last one from Campervantastic.com. Finally, back in business!
PXL_20230319_193501512.jpg

Back