Bike Rack Windbreak Storage

RosscoPCole

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Is there a neat solution for storing a windbreak on the tailgate bike rack?
I seem to remember someone had some sort of pipe tube attached.

Is there a neat solution for storing a windbreak on the tailgate bike rack?
I seem to remember someone had some sort of pipe tube attached.
That may be me...
Whether you call it a neat solution is open to debate!!

Bike rack 8.jpgBike rack 9.jpgBike rack 12.jpg

Yes, it's a cut down 2m pipe rack that I drilled out all the original rivets, had powder coated & then drilled & re riveted.
It took a while to find the right pipe rack, as most have a different shape end, front to back.
I wanted 1 where both ends were the same shape and lockable.
It also stores my flag pole stake & 2 x figure of 8's for the awning rail.
Keeps the interior nice & free of long stuff.
Been on for over a year and the powder coating has held up well.
On a negative, it does cover up the high level brake light, that I thought may be an issue come MOT time, but it sailed through - no issues.
It also means a 4 bike, bike rack is now a 3 bike, bike rack.

Last edited:
Very neat guys :thumbsup:

Another thought if you don't need it to be theft secure is you should be able to make something up from a length of soil pipe with screw on ends solvent welded on.

I made a theatre cannon that way, but that's a story for another day...

Thank you @moomin-j and @Cool Carlos looks perfect. Could the pipe rack be mounted on the underside of the bike rack so that 4 bikes could still be fitted on?
Sorry for all the questions.
Yes of course, with a sharp, correct sized drill & a set of various nuts/bolts, anything is possible. :cool: :thumbsup:
Just be mindful of the total weight carried, as the Vw rack can (should) only carry a max of 60kgs.
Just be careful though as:
1. 4 bikes will be most likely near this weight already.
2. Ebikes are a lot heavier than old skool push bikes.

My pipe rack sits 'in board' allowing the bike rack to be used as normal (4 bikes). Note: The bike carrier arms have been removed for the time being as I'm using my storage box option. A quick 5 min job to swap back to 'bike carrier mode'.

20230731_205756.jpg

20230731_205805.jpg

20230731_205925.jpg

Thank you @moomin-j and @Cool Carlos looks perfect. Could the pipe rack be mounted on the underside of the bike rack so that 4 bikes could still be fitted on?
Sorry for all the questions.
Mmmm...

Looking at some more photos, an under slung pipe rack may (probably will) cover up your number plate. :cry:
For some folks' driving style, this could be an advantage :D

Last edited:
They are spot light brackets for a bull bar. I'll see if I can dig out a link - pretty sure they were a ebay special.

They are a perfect fit on the VW Bike Rack horizontal bar.

Back