Fiamma bike rack twisted

WanderingCouple

T6 Pro
Hi all. We have a T6 Transporter with barn doors and have had a Fiamma 2 bike carry rack fitted to it. One of the 2 upper door latches (the rhs one when you look at the rear of the van) seems to be twisted slightly and doesn’t seem the be hooked over the door properly. The other day it popped off the door when it was loaded with bikes. The bottom of the rack is screwed to the underside of the door for extra security. I checked with the fitter who asked me to loosen the bottom nut to allow the tension to be released so I could fit the upper latch over the door. This I have done but it still looks twisted. See photo below. Anyone any ideas as to what is going on here? I feel nervous about taking the van out with bikes if it is going to come off the door frame again. Anyone else have any experience of this rack on a 2 door T6?

2F43B164-52FC-448F-9600-F3A35CB05BA2.jpeg

Can you show us a photo of the whole of the rear of the van with the rack fitted - straight on directly behind the van..

Also, when I had one of these I loosened all the bolts that held the frame together to allow a bit of movement, then seated the rack and mounts properly, then tightened the bolts up.

Pete

Thanks.

It doesn’t look as though it is level i.e. the bar running vertically up on the right is not aligned with the vertical gap between the doors.
I wonder if the fact that it is screwed to the bottom of the doors is lifting and twisting it a bit.
If it was mine, I would completely loosen the bottom fixings and get the whole thing aligned and the mount at the top straight, then re-tighten the bottom.

What sort of bikes are you carrying i.e. are they heavy.

Pete

Yes, I think loosening everything up, getting the top straight then retightening it is good advice. I'm going to have a go once the rain has stopped as it is bucketing here and I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the advice.
Bike wise, total weight is c30kg so withing the limits quoted by Fiamma. The heavier of the 2 bikes is always nearest the door.

How much assembly needs to be done on these racks out of the box? The vertical bar on the left actually looks longer than the one on the right. I wonder in they need to be swapped around? The slope on the top of the barn door would call for the one on the left to be just slightly shorter to make the whole thing level.

I don’t have one of these so you might be safer to ignore me!!

I had one of these. I don't think you can swap those vertical bars over as they are uniquely shaped.

Pete

I've had exactly the same problem. Be careful, the top bracket has took all the paint off both the top of the door and where it rubs against the roof panel. I've stripped it, refitted and tightened multiple times and come to the conclusion the bracket is manufactured wrong. It can never be a snug fit (like the other one is) on the top of the door. I suspect theres been a batch problem. Sadly I've had it too long to send it back. My advice to anyone getting one of these is to try the piece onto the door as soon as you can and check it's a snug fit. I have friends with the same carrier and theirs are fine.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, the rack has been repositioned numerous times, tightened loosened ensure it is straight etc....however the right hand top bracket will occasionally pop off whilst driving and is definitely unstable and popping off lots if I close the barn doors with the bikes on the back....can anyone help.....i thought it was me but clearly it isn't

Hi all. We have a T6 Transporter with barn doors and have had a Fiamma 2 bike carry rack fitted to it. One of the 2 upper door latches (the rhs one when you look at the rear of the van) seems to be twisted slightly and doesn’t seem the be hooked over the door properly. The other day it popped off the door when it was loaded with bikes. The bottom of the rack is screwed to the underside of the door for extra security. I checked with the fitter who asked me to loosen the bottom nut to allow the tension to be released so I could fit the upper latch over the door. This I have done but it still looks twisted. See pho
Hi all. We have a T6 Transporter with barn doors and have had a Fiamma 2 bike carry rack fitted to it. One of the 2 upper door latches (the rhs one when you look at the rear of the van) seems to be twisted slightly and doesn’t seem the be hooked over the door properly. The other day it popped off the door when it was loaded with bikes. The bottom of the rack is screwed to the underside of the door for extra security. I checked with the fitter who asked me to loosen the bottom nut to allow the tension to be released so I could fit the upper latch over the door. This I have done but it still looks twisted. See photo below. Anyone any ideas as to what is going on here? I feel nervous about taking the van out with bikes if it is going to come off the door frame again. Anyone else have any experience of this rack on a 2 door T6?

View attachment 86963

to below. Anyone any ideas as to what is going on here? I feel nervous about taking the van out with bikes if it is going to come off the door frame again. Anyone else have any experience of this rack on a 2 door T6?

View attachment 86963
Hi, Did you ever get this sorted as I have exactly the same problem....

The OPs one looks like its fitted too far to the left. If its positioned correctly the door shut line between the doors should be hidden by the rightmost vertical part of the rack & your number plate should be exactly central between the rack uprights.

Hi - in the end and after taking some advice from here, I took the whole thing apart, reassembled it and remounted it on the doors and touch wood since then no problem. The right latch on the top of the door is still slightly twisted but it’s no issue.
They’re a bit of a b**ger to fit but if you get the tension right they seem to be fine. We’ve done lots of miles since with 2 adult bikes on the rack without incident.
HTH

Hi, I have exactly the same problem, the rack has been repositioned numerous times, tightened loosened ensure it is straight etc....however the right hand top bracket will occasionally pop off whilst driving and is definitely unstable and popping off lots if I close the barn doors with the bikes on the back....can anyone help.....i thought it was me but clearly it isn't

Can you show us a photo of it fitted on the back of your van, without bikes on it ?

Pete

I would love to but I’m on the northwest coast of Canada at the moment!!!
I’m back 1st week of November if it can wait til then?

Back