Hi @Phil Harris and @Gingercoastie ,

Powder coating was by Technique Finishing Ltd – Just another WordPress site in Chichester. Cost £120.00.

The only issue I can see after using it for a few weekends away is were the bottom bar rotates against the upright. slight paint scuffing.

All went back together OK spent some time locating the correct Black rivets.

Thanks for the tip, I contacted Dale from Technique Finishing and his quote of £250 seems slightly overpriced. I'm looking for an alternative if anyone could recommend another company?

Also... I have a question - did you manage to disassemble all plastic parts? I have two elements where I was unable to separate the plastic - how did you paint those?

IMG_7786.jpeg

Thanks for the tip, I contacted Dale from Technique Finishing and his quote of £250 seems slightly overpriced. I'm looking for an alternative if anyone could recommend another company?

Also... I have a question - did you manage to disassemble all plastic parts? I have two elements where I was unable to separate the plastic - how did you paint those?

View attachment 88592
Hi,
I’ve just stripped mine and you need to drill out the rivets holding the plastic and aluminium parts together.
Also, I’d recommend anodising opposed to powder coating. I just had a ball park figure over the phone of £80.
I’m visiting the company tomorrow to drop off.
Also, there’s two small Steel tubes in the hinge that cannot be anodised so I’m leaving them silver.
I’ll update you on cost and quality later.

heres a pic of all the bits without plastic and steel...

60E5B878-A8BA-4A3E-834C-6362DC3FD9A5.jpeg
And here’s the two small steel tubes you can’t anodise...
2B1DCB2C-AA11-45D9-8B46-7A9A40D9D7B4.jpeg
Stay tuned.

Ah great! Thanks for the update.

I wasn't sure what to do with the rivets as they're factory done.

So you're anodising in black right? May I ask why you choose anodising rather than powder coating?

Where are the tubes coming from?

And one more (most important) question :) where are you doing your bike rack?

Please send pictures once it's done - really keen to see the final effect.

Many thanks and regards,
Lakis

Ah great! Thanks for the update.

I wasn't sure what to do with the rivets as they're factory done.

So you're anodising in black right? May I ask why you choose anodising rather than powder coating?

Where are the tubes coming from?

And one more (most important) question :) where are you doing your bike rack?

Please send pictures once it's done - really keen to see the final effect.

Many thanks and regards,
Lakis
Hi,

rivets aren’t that complicated, you can refit rivets easy enough, but you do have to drill out the rivets on the bike rack, I used a 6mm metal drill bit. Be aware you will likely need a couple of drill bits for this as the drill bit gets worn down.

I've been reading up on powder coating and anodising, basically, if the powder coated surface gets scratched and moisture gets under the layer then the surface can come off in chunks. I reckon the bike rack will get battered so want something harder Wearing. Anodising will still scratch but won’t come off. Plus it’s cheaper ! ;)

the tubes are from the hinge mechanism.

I’ll let you know how things go.

Update...
So the price of £80 English pounds was for SOFT anodising, which is basically a thin layer that scratches easily. Not ideal for a black surface with a silver surface underneath... :(

there is hard anodising which is simply a thicker layer on which I’m told is Bomb proof, however, I’ve struggled to find an anodiser with suitable vats to do the larger bike rack elements... cost would be about £250!!

so, I have gone down the powder coating path as it’s cheaper and apparently very resistant. I’ve been quoted £150 and plumped for gloss black. It’ll be two weeks but I’m in no rush.

I stand corrected :\

hopefully look good, pics will follow.

no update on the rivets from ACCU yet...

I have the Fiamma rack which is powder coated black and it’s stood up to much abuse for 18 months without even the tiniest scratch. The appearance would be as new if the muppets hadn’t fitted mild steel machine screws which all rusted :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing...

Today I picked mine - did powder coating in gloss black and the quality I've received was immaculate!!!

Initially, I was quoted £100 just for powder coating. However, I dropped my rack with rivets so the chap offered help to remove rivets and put them back together after painting.

Altogether I've paid £140. The guy is based in Reading if anyone interested: Blast and Coat.

TIP: To protect (wrap) moving parts of the rack I've used Acrylic Transparent Edge Protective Film. Works as expected.

Next on the list... Bilstein suspension 30mm lift and Black Rhino Warlord rims :cool:

Cheers!IMG_7888.jpegIMG_7891.jpegIMG_7892_2.jpgIMG_7893.jpeg

Back