If I remember heating them up (boiling water) then holding the shaft by hand then tapping them out. They came out easily.

M

If I remember heating them up (boiling water) then holding the shaft by hand then tapping them out. They came out easily.

M

Great tip, managed to get the two longer ones out but the small one the plugs seem to butt up together so not sure how to push these ones out

Hi All, I’ve been quoted £420 inc. VAT for dismantling, powder coating and reassembly for my rack. So I’m considering tackling it myself, I’m quite handy but not used to rivers etc. Sounds like they need to be drilled out, then replaced with new black ones. Could anyone send me details of sizes and where to get them from?
Or should I just bite the bullet and pay for it to be done professionally?
Cheers.

Just done mine and cannot remember where these 4 bits go, possibly not overly important but can anyone who has stripped theirs remember where they go please?

IMG_1710.JPG

Don’t look familiar, I have a stripped rack in boxes at the moment and I don’t have any of those ??
Which rack have you got the curvy one or the scaffold pole one ?

Same as the one I currently have stripped and don’t remember seeing any of those little washers ??

Ah thanks for looking then, I wondered if it was from the moving part from the bit that drops down as they have a little raised clip in bit but for the life of me I can't remember which bit they came off

I'm looking at getting a rack and liking the black. Anyone have any issues with carpark barriers with the bikes on. ?

I'm looking at getting a rack and liking the black. Anyone have any issues with carpark barriers with the bikes on. ?
You wont get under them ! The vans are already close, and the rack put's the bike up a way above the roof. A friend of ours on their first use of the rack snapped a carbon frame and badly damaged another on a 2.1m barrier

Hi All, I’ve been quoted £420 inc. VAT for dismantling, powder coating and reassembly for my rack. So I’m considering tackling it myself, I’m quite handy but not used to rivers etc. Sounds like they need to be drilled out, then replaced with new black ones. Could anyone send me details of sizes and where to get them from?
Or should I just bite the bullet and pay for it to be done professionally?
Cheers.
Hiya, who quoted you to do this ? Please can you let us know. I really like the look of a black rack but bloody useless that doing things like this. Thanks Andy

Ditto that! I'm surprised they aren't sold in black as an option. Has anyone tried this with the VW T5 style rack (for a T6 obviously)?
Thinking about it, at ~£500 for the rack and ~£400 for the coating, this sounds quite expensive, I would have to make sure I lock it securely to the bikes :)

Hi all, I know one or two have painted their bike rack black (@Mark Howkins ?) so I'm wondering how it's wearing and what sort of paint you used? I was looking at maybe using the hammerite gloss?

If its ally I’d be inclined to dis-assemble it and get powder coated. It will be very hard waring!

Back