Bike-Rack or Towbar Mount?

Some really good points. I have the Thule Wanderway 2 for our two bikes, but it can take up to four, with a maximum payload of 60kg. Easy to fit and is always ready to use, but you’ll need to upgrade the tailgate struts. I‘m 5ft 6 and have a tall folding step, which allows me to reach everything and get the bikes on and off. With my MTB on the height clearance required is 2.35 m, but will depend on the bikes carried.
The Thule is a decent bit of kit. Solid and so easy to use.

D1E4415A-41D8-4E8B-85B2-A4FF027F0213.jpeg

@Bentley T6. All these pictures are to be found somewhere here on T6F but it's probably easier to just post them all again:

View attachment 169793

Folded down and tailgate open - I don't bother with the wooden prop any more.

View attachment 169794

Arrows marked 1 indicate the bolts which need to be taken out to dismantle the rack to allow the bung/stops (marked at 2) to be removed for cutting. Be careful of the lighting cable looms - you just need to pull out the clips to get plenty of room to work.

View attachment 169795

This is one of them after cutting - I just put them in a vice and used a hacksaw.

View attachment 169796

The black tube over the central part of the number plate is the camera - an Auto Vox TW1 which I bought from Amazon.

The kit comes with the monitor and 1 camera but I also bought an extra. At the time, I didn't have a reversing camera on the van so I fixed one to both the van and the bike rack and it's very easy to switch between the two as required. I've now got a Kenwood reversing camera hooked up to my new Kenwood head unit in the van but will continue to use the Act Vox on the bike rack - personally, I think it's a brilliant bit of kit that's very easy to install and use. I'm bad enough reversing the van without extra aids so I'm terrified every time I reverse the van fitted with a cycle rack with assistance!

View attachment 169797

As you can see, the monitor is pretty small. I keep it on my Seat Shelf when I'm using it but it does come with the usual sucker mount for the dash/windscreen.

View attachment 169798View attachment 169799

Hope this helps.
@Ayjay fantastic info and very much a help. I see what you mean. That’s great, will get it purchased. :thumbsup:

@Bentley T6. Glad to be of assistance. One thing I would advise on the rack is to keep an eye on price movements if you've got the luxury of time. When I bought mine, I looked all over the internet for best prices over a period of about 3 months. In the end Halfords dropped a very large lump off of their limited time on-line only price only and I jumped in with an additional 10% armed forces discount - I saved something like £200 over prices advertised elsewhere. You can get a similar discount as a member of British Cycling.

@Bentley T6. Glad to be of assistance. One thing I would advise on the rack is to keep an eye on price movements if you've got the luxury of time. When I bought mine, I looked all over the internet for best prices over a period of about 3 months. In the end Halfords dropped a very large lump off of their limited time on-line only price only and I jumped in with an additional 10% armed forces discount - I saved something like £200 over prices advertised elsewhere. You can get a similar discount as a member of British Cycling.
@Ayjay that’s fantastic, thank you again. Really very helpful. Will have a shop around and keep an eye on Halfords.

@BruvDunk I think our van is the twin of yours, albeit with the Atera Strada DL 3 + 4th bike adapterView attachment 170795
+1 for Atera DL3. Slides nicely out of the way of the barn doors with bikes still loaded. Easy fitment to tow ball. Ours had tow bar fitted when we bought it so it was a no brainer really. Picked up DL3 off eBay cheap from someone who didn’t know what model it was and never knew it had the sliding feature!

The Thule is a decent bit of kit. Solid and so easy to use.

View attachment 169805
I also went for the Thule as a) it was cheaper than VW equivalent, and b) I wanted something to stay on the van so I wouldn't have to store it somewhere. Works for me, but then I'm only putting 2 bikes on max, and no e-bikes.. Oh and at home I have a nice wall I reverse up to, for getting the bikes on.

We have an Altera Strada DL3 on the van, used for a couple of ordinary MTBs. We're considering getting eBikes, probably the Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro model. Has anyone experience of this rack / bike combination? Weight wise I think it's marginal - I'm more interested in whether the rack is big enough as these bikes are large!

Each to their own, but I’d rather get a towbar one unless people like to drive around with prison bars on the window lol.

Just our two ebikes weigh over 50kg’s anyway, there’s no way I’m risking that on the tailgate.

Most of my pals use thule tow bar ones, and they seem great, plus you can actually see out the back window!

Each to their own, but I’d rather get a towbar one unless people like to drive around with prison bars on the window lol.

Just our two ebikes weigh over 50kg’s anyway, there’s no way I’m risking that on the tailgate.

Most of my pals use thule tow bar ones, and they seem great, plus you can actually see out the back window!
I’ve had the tailgate rack and the Thule Velospace XT3 tow bar mount. I like the look of the tailgate rack but I wanted to be able to open the tailgate with bikes on, so the hinged tow bar mount works for me.

Yes thats a bonus too, just rotate away and open the tailgate.

I’m not convinced that the VW one is safe enough for heavy bikes anyway. And having bikes so close to the van can easily result in knocking the bars etc into the van. We used yo have one on the back of a previous vehicle and the rack ruined the paint around the edges and on a couple of occasions we scraped the paint with the bar ends. There’s also the driving around with giant prison bars over the back window. I put a window unto the tailgate to see out of it :)

I’ve switched from a tow bar mount to a bike rack as I tow a caravan.
If I didn’t tow, I would have kept the tow bar rack.

F91838BE-0BA6-4026-AF13-664912A0F808.jpeg

I’ve switched from a tow bar mount to a bike rack as I tow a caravan.
If I didn’t tow, I would have kept the tow bar rack.

View attachment 177714
To be fair I think that one looks a lot better that the ones like this:

96495E29-5095-46FB-BD23-BDDA3BE8B1A6.png

I think the one I pictured looks hideous, appreciate thats just my opinion and some people might love them though.

There’s also no way I would be lifting awkward 27kg ebikes up onto it lol.

Back