Bike-Rack or Towbar Mount?

flatfourtour

What are the general thoughts around bike carriers? I want to be able to transport 4 bikes, am I best going for the VW Gen type one that mounts to the roof or are tow bar type ones better.

Id like to be able to have a spoiler on the roof which is why I am thinking of the tow bar one however I’m interested to know peoples take on them as to which would be the most suitable type.

Thank you

I transport bikes a lot, basically every weekend for my kids cycle club. Before getting my T6 earlier this year I used a top spec Thule towbar rack for about 3 years, it was brilliant. They are solid but there is inevitably some movement along very bumpy roads but they are good.

Since getting a T6 I’ve got the VW standard tailgate mounted rack. This has been a further godsend, it’s always there and ready to use in 5 seconds. Because it is fixed at 4 points to the van it does not move around at all, it is absolutely rock solid. There’s nothing to store when not in use, it just sits on the back of the van all the time rather than taking up space in the garage.

My advice would be to get the VW tailgate mounted rack but it’s only fair to point out the drawbacks although they are minor:

* I am 6ft and need a small step to get the first bike on/off unless the van is on level ground, if it’s pointing downhill at all then I can’t reach. This was a bit embarrassing at a bike race on my first outing, I had to hold my son up above my head so he could reach to undo the frame clamp!
* You will not get under 2m height restrictions with the bikes on. They are mostly out of the airflow so drag is not a problem.

A final benefit to even things up... if you are rear ended in a crash your bikes will escape damage

I’ve just ordered a black T5 type (but for t6) vw rack and as it’s black it was even more money but I’m hoping it will look good and function superbly (I’m not 6 foot so I guess I had better start looking for a set of steps!). I think it will look good on the back so I won’t need a spoiler.

I liked what you said the other day though @Spaghettiboy78, the spoiler would be good to continue the lines of the poptop roof.

I have always thought I’d get a tow bar fitted to mount a storage box in case we need more space when touring but If not then cost of a tow bar and decent rack would be even more than the black vw rack (depends if you have a tow bar fitted already though)

I was watching Spyder Lee’s video on YouTube the other day. He has a tailgate bike rack and a spoiler on his van, so it is doable if you’re prepared to “adapt” the spoiler.

Thanks for that I think that’s probably the way to go. I was a little tempted by the tow bar ones due to them being quite a bit cheaper but think I’m gonna go for the tailgate mounted type then if I still want a spoiler cut around it. It’s going on Air so all being well I should be able to get to it without a step.

I bought a collapsible 8” step from Home Bargains for about £3.99, it folds flat and sits between the driver and passenger seat well out of the way, it was a nice simple solution for me.

you do see the VW tailgate racks selling used for around £350-£450. A top spec Thule towbar rack is £600 new but I found one second hand for £300 for my last car. If you buy used then the tailgate mounted option is not a lot more. It does depend how much you will use it, for me simplicity and ease of use each week was a top priority so the tailgate option easily won.

Yeah that makes sense. It’s a second vehicle so I’m gonna be using it at the weekend so I will probably just go down the tailgate mounted route and then it’s ready for biking adventures at the weekend and less messing about.

I think it depends on exactly what bikes you’re planning on carrying. I have the VW rear mounted 4’er and there is no way in hell that would fit 4 modern MTBs. The spacing is simply not there for the forks. A Towbar mounted Thule XT has much wider spacing and (not tried it yet but I believe) will allow you to open the tailgate while mounted

Definitely worth considering what bikes are going on there before making your decision

I have seen the maxxraxx one which would work with a bolt on flange type tow bar that could be removable so I’m thinking that’s the way I’m gonna go as it will take 4 bikes, I can still tow and have the roof spoiler in one piece.

Well just in case anyone is interested, I put the Thule on to do a spacing comparison and a tailgate opening test.

41466263-A503-4B4B-AD2F-66EC29F756FC.jpeg
You can see how much wider spaced the Thule tracks are, which is much better for MTBs. Obviously that’s only a 3’er, but you can get a fourth track to add on

But annoyingly I can now confirm that you cannot open the tailgate with the Thule leaned back. Bolox.

Well just in case anyone is interested, I put the Thule on to do a spacing comparison and a tailgate opening test.

View attachment 69916
You can see how much wider spaced the Thule tracks are, which is much better for MTBs. Obviously that’s only a 3’er, but you can get a fourth track to add on

But annoyingly I can now confirm that you cannot open the tailgate with the Thule leaned back. Bolox.

Even if you adapt the wire? I thought you could alter it so that the tailgate would then open?

Even if you adapt the wire? I thought you could alter it so that the tailgate would then open?
Sorry, thought i'd updated all my posts on this but i didn't correct this one. Yep i did move the wire anchor (thanks to a recommendation by someone else on here but cant recall who) and it does work.

I’ve just ordered a black T5 type (but for t6) vw rack and as it’s black it was even more money but I’m hoping it will look good and function superbly (I’m not 6 foot so I guess I had better start looking for a set of steps!). I think it will look good on the back so I won’t need a spoiler.

I liked what you said the other day though @Spaghettiboy78, the spoiler would be good to continue the lines of the poptop roof.

I have always thought I’d get a tow bar fitted to mount a storage box in case we need more space when touring but If not then cost of a tow bar and decent rack would be even more than the black vw rack (depends if you have a tow bar fitted already though)
Where did you get the black VW bike rack? I have my new T6 coming in the next few weeks and also want to source one. I did see a black T5 one but wasn’t sure if it would fit to a T6.

Where did you get the black VW bike rack? I have my new T6 coming in the next few weeks and also want to source one. I did see a black T5 one but wasn’t sure if it would fit to a T6.

I got mine here. It’s looks like they are out of stock at the moment but call them as I believe they paint them to order

View attachment 69916

I suspect the answer is “hell no”, but is there any chance you’d fit a bike on the bottom rack whilst the top rack is deployed? I’m asking because I wondering how on earth we can transport five bikes…!

I suspect the answer is “hell no”, but is there any chance you’d fit a bike on the bottom rack whilst the top rack is deployed? I’m asking because I wondering how on earth we can transport five bikes…!
You can, just, but it needs to be a small bike! I've done it with an Isla Beinn 20, on the two closest rails, like so:
IMG_3806.jpeg

IMG_3924.jpegAnd with the top rack deployed, you cant tilt the thule without opening the tailgate at the same time, as the handlebars on the lower bike catch

Sorry, thought i'd updated all my posts on this but i didn't correct this one. Yep i did move the wire anchor (thanks to a recommendation by someone else on here but cant recall who) and it does work.
@Village. @rolling_stone. Sorry to ask so late in the day but I've only just seen this [newly revised] thread. What is the 'wire anchor' that you guys are talking about please? I ask as I've also got a Thule towbar rack and can't open the tailgate. That said, mine's an Easy Fold XT-2 and it's a bit of the main structure of the rack that gets's in the way of the tailgate rather than anything else. Cheers.

Back