Bike locks for a VW rack

former member

Account closed
T6 Pro
I'm a bit out of touch on bike locks as we've rarely needed one but I'm keen to keep our bikes secure both on the rack and when we're out and about.
They'll be mounted on a VW bike rack which does actually lock each bike in place but I reckon we need more.

I have an old Abus (fairly decent at the time) D lock and some mid range cable lock which is probably only a mild deterrent.

Any decent locks I should look at?

They'll be stacked my son's (new, £420), mine (custom built over many years - cost me about £3000, worth much less now as it's dated), my wife's (worth very little - cost £650 in 2008, had about £300 spent on it) and my daughters (probably £250ish in value); any suggestions? Or do we stick with what we've got and take out some kick butt insurance?

@Polzeylad. Not sure if anybody does one, but what is needed is a combined cable lock and alarm which, when cut, sounds a loud alarm. Any member know of one or of any firm prepared to develop this (free) concept?

@Polzeylad. Not sure if anybody does one, but what is needed is a combined cable lock and alarm which, when cut, sounds a loud alarm. Any member know of one or of any firm prepared to develop this (free) concept?
We used to have one made by LifeVenture - don't think they make them any more.

One lock has a transmitter that alerts you if it has been cut but it seems a bit OTT.

@Polzeylad. A lot is in the deterrent value, but also how much you value you value the bikes for that outing or holiday I suppose. Some would go for it for peace of mind as much as anything I suspect.

I suspect your old Abus D lock would still rate well against new cable locks. What we tend to do when leaving the bikes is use a D lock (OnGuard) to secure the most valuable bikes (not as valuable as yours!) and then cable lock the rest to them. On the van we just use the inbuilt rack locks as we are never far from the van when travelling and always unload as soon as we arrive on site (can't open the tailgate with them in situ). If someone wants the bikes they will get them whatever and my preference would be to minimise the potential damage to the van whilst they are breaking whatever security you apply.

Do you have a towbar ? If so you could make up a lead that goes through the frames of the bikes and into towbar electric plug and if its unplugged or cut the vehicle alarm will go off ?

Slightly nervous about the logistics of bikes and campering - we won't be able to use the boot with them on and while I think we'll stick to campsites on this Easter jaunt, we tend to wild camp a fair bit on our long Summer trips - could raise a few issues.
I'm sure we'll work it out though.

Do you have a towbar ? If so you could make up a lead that goes through the frames of the bikes and into towbar electric plug and if its unplugged or cut the vehicle alarm will go off ?
@Pauly - Simples! :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Way to go, takes my (royalty free) concept on to a simple alarm system! Great lateral thinking @Pauly :thumbsup: Maybe you could patent and produce it for the shop?

Last edited:
I don't think I would want one for driving, I would be too worried about the wind flow ripping it, but might be an idea for when parked up.

Sure did, they are a great fit apart from my front headrests, I guess when my seats were retrimmed the size got altered slightly.

Back