Tow/m-bar Bike Rack options

ahappychappie

T6 Guru
Hi,

I have looked at the various threads relating to bike carrier & options - I come back to the same options - but just want to check I'm not missing anything...

I'm after a Tow Bar mounted Bike Carrier - one that can carry 4 bikes and importantly can tilt so the barn doors can still be opened whilst the carrier is mounted. Additionally it also needs to fold for storage purposes.

I think the above requirement means there are limited options, from what I can see the Atera Strada DL3 (appreciate needs an add on for the fourth bike) and the more budget friendly Buzz Rack Eazzy 4.

Firstly, are there any other carriers available that meet all my requirements above?
Secondly, there is quite a price difference between the Atera and Buzz models - both seem to get favourable reviews, would I regret the Buzz model in anyway - i.e. does the Atera have additional functionality?

Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for quality and full folding then you need Atera or something like a Thule Velospace

Buzzracks are cheap but they are not as well made and quite a bit harder to use.

Here are the main differences between budget and premium carriers from my experience:

The bike wheels are held in by fabric straps instead of ratchet fasteners, sounds simple but they are fiddly when trying to load the bikes.

The bike steady system goes between each bike, not by an arm coming from a frame at the front, this means that getting bikes on and off the rack is cumbersome and tricky.

The space between each bike is greatly reduced because of the in between bike steady points, it becomes difficult to get all the bikes on.

The towbar attachment is a right faff and has to be done up with a spanner each time. I have two friends with cars where it works ok, but another where the rack rotates on the tow ball so he has to secure it with straps to the side of the bumper/chassis to stop it swinging about. With Thule and Atera it is a simple lever which goes on first time every time.

Light steel construction compared to alloy, for long term use corrosion might become a problem.

If it is just for very occasional use then the Buzzrack does work but for me it needs to be easy to use because then you will use it more. Go cheap and always put yourself off being bothered to attach it and load the bikes, or go premium and get the rack and all bikes loaded in under 5 mins. The cheaper carriers can end up being an expensive garage ornament if you never use them.

There might be a Thule one, but not sure about opening with the barn doors though....

I think it will be the Thule Velospace XT3- however in another thread it was confirmed you can't open the tailgate with this carrier and I'm pretty certain it's the same with Barn Doors...

My research seems to suggest as above you can't open the tail lift or barn doors with thule carriers. Only the strada DL works. Do like the look of the thule velo but not being able to open the rear doors is a real shame.

If you are looking for quality and full folding then you need Atera or something like a Thule Velospace

Buzzracks are cheap but they are not as well made and quite a bit harder to use.

Here are the main differences between budget and premium carriers from my experience:

The bike wheels are held in by fabric straps instead of ratchet fasteners, sounds simple but they are fiddly when trying to load the bikes.

The bike steady system goes between each bike, not by an arm coming from a frame at the front, this means that getting bikes on and off the rack is cumbersome and tricky.

The space between each bike is greatly reduced because of the in between bike steady points, it becomes difficult to get all the bikes on.

The towbar attachment is a right faff and has to be done up with a spanner each time. I have two friends with cars where it works ok, but another where the rack rotates on the tow ball so he has to secure it with straps to the side of the bumper/chassis to stop it swinging about. With Thule and Atera it is a simple lever which goes on first time every time.

Light steel construction compared to alloy, for long term use corrosion might become a problem.

If it is just for very occasional use then the Buzzrack does work but for me it needs to be easy to use because then you will use it more. Go cheap and always put yourself off being bothered to attach it and load the bikes, or go premium and get the rack and all bikes loaded in under 5 mins. The cheaper carriers can end up being an expensive garage ornament if you never use them.

Hi,

Thanks for the above - on researching further the Buzzrack doesn't actually allow you to open the Barn Doors. In a reply above you'll see I think it's also the same for the Thule - defo can't open with a Tailgate, pretty certain the same for Barn Doors - so it's a choice of Atera and nothing else I think - based on wanting to be able to open the Barn Doors, able to carry 4 bikes and fold for storing (I know, not asking much!).

But still appreciate all the detail - with the cost of the Tow Bar it was working out more than I was hoping - hence looking at cheaper options - having said that I'm a firm believer of you get what you pay for. So need to save a bit more!

Above defo convinces me to get the Atera - just offers more.

Thanks again

I'm interested to know how people get on with mountain bikes and rear mounted tow bar carriers. I just tried my Thule Velocompact 927 on the van and the handlebars were touching the back window - I wouldn't want to drive with it in place.

I know I could rotate the handlebars, but would they fit with the Atera? Or alternatively which carrier would put them the furthest from the back of the van please?

@goldeneye243 used the Atera this weekend for the first time and very impressed. Cleared barn doors but did have to twist the handlebars of the nearest bike

As the old saying goes, I used to be decisive but I'm not so sure now. I've been debating the benefits of tailgate -v- towbar mounted bike racks with myself for a while now and still can't make up my mind. Although the the tailgate ones look good, I really don't want to leave it permanently attached and haven't got anywhere to store one when removed. I also don't like the fact that the bikes are on the tailgate rack and therefore sit well above the roofline (thus adding to the height of the van) and are also left exposed to all weathers because they can't be covered when on the move. So far as towbar racks are concerned, my first issue is that I haven't actually got a towbar fitted at the moment so that's a big extra expense but I've reached the conclusion that, within reason, budget isn't a factor if it means getting that best solution. On the plus side and as somebody mention above, you can get racks which fold and can therefore be put in the loft when not in use (ditto the towbar). I'm also assuming that there is nothing to stop the bikes being covered on a tow bar rack but would be happy to be corrected on that. We only ever need to carry two bikes, and not very heavy ones at that.

We have a Thule (not sure which type) on which my MTB fits without folding the handlebars.

What I like is the moment you arrive on a camp site (or wherever) you can take the bike rack off and use it as a bike stand. Secondly, as just mentioned above, we can still go in 2m parking garages without issues. (cities etc...)

My mum has one, but not sure what the brand is anymore, for her e-bike, which folds up quite small when not in use, is very handy to use and quite sturdy. Will send her a message to ask later on.

Grtz

I have a witter 4 bike tow bar mounted carrier - tried it on the van recently and with it dropped the barn doors wouldnt open.

The Thule clamp on two bike carrier needed the handle bars of the first bike rotating 90 degrees and careful placement of the pedal.

Ian

We have a Thule (not sure which type) on which my MTB fits without folding the handlebars.

What I like is the moment you arrive on a camp site (or wherever) you can take the bike rack off and use it as a bike stand. Secondly, as just mentioned above, we can still go in 2m parking garages without issues. (cities etc...)

My mum has one, but not sure what the brand is anymore, for her e-bike, which folds up quite small when not in use, is very handy to use and quite sturdy. Will send her a message to ask later on.

Grtz
Maybe I'm being even thicker than usual but what sort of Thule carrier are you talking about - I assume the former but towbar or door mounted?

Hi,

I have looked at the various threads relating to bike carrier & options - I come back to the same options - but just want to check I'm not missing anything...

I'm after a Tow Bar mounted Bike Carrier - one that can carry 4 bikes and importantly can tilt so the barn doors can still be opened whilst the carrier is mounted. Additionally it also needs to fold for storage purposes.

I think the above requirement means there are limited options, from what I can see the Atera Strada DL3 (appreciate needs an add on for the fourth bike) and the more budget friendly Buzz Rack Eazzy 4.

Firstly, are there any other carriers available that meet all my requirements above?
Secondly, there is quite a price difference between the Atera and Buzz models - both seem to get favourable reviews, would I regret the Buzz model in anyway - i.e. does the Atera have additional functionality?

Thanks in advance.

I've got a Thule four bike tow bar mounted rack which works a treat although with four full size bikes on you either have to remove the front wheels or twist the handlebars. It worked a bit better when the kids were on small bikes! I've had it about ten years now and it still works fine, folds away for storage and is very solid when set up.

@Bardot it was the three bike option. An excellent bit of kit before it fell off on the M1. Not the products fault more user error unfortunately

Back