Big ol' tyres question

KombiKommando

Dogger
T6 Guru
I'm thinking of going down the road of Terracamper territory with my new T6. Something like this. Obviously it will stay 2wd as I'm not actually going to go any steeper than a curb or dirtier than a gravel track but..... those big a** chunky tyres look like my van will need a sussy lift? I saw on a T5 forum that it can be done without a sussy lift without rubbing. Anyone reckon I'll need a sussy lift on the T6?

6cbac5b9006bfd4de959ce57ce7727e9.jpg

I reckon the black steels add to the appearance that the wheels are larger than perhaps they are. Do you favour the urban cammo look to go with them ?:D:whistle::whistle:

@KombiKommando , I'm still hankering after a proper 4x4... A Unimog ! (Don't tell dad :whistle::whistle::rofl:), but the tyres cost a grand a piece! :eek:, oh and yep I want it as a daily driver and a camper! :eek::cool::rolleyes::whistle::whistle:

@KombiKommando , I'm still hankering after a proper 4x4... A Unimog ! (Don't tell dad :whistle::whistle::rofl:), but the tyres cost a grand a piece! :eek:, oh and yep I want it as a daily driver and a camper! :eek::cool::rolleyes::whistle::whistle:
Unimog, now you're talking. Been a childhood dream of mine to have one. Although I'm sure once I'd spent a few hours in one on the road I'd change my mind...

I reckon the black steels add to the appearance that the wheels are larger than perhaps they are. Do you favour the urban cammo look to go with them ?:D:whistle::whistle:
Yeah perhaps the blacked out steelies add size illusion.... my van is coming in the grey. i did say i would add to it over the coming year or so, but I've already got custom badges in matte black, ordered a side awning....... oh dear.:whistle:

That van must be a bugger to drive with huge tyres on one side, but low profile on the other - look under the van quite clearly a totally different rim!
It must be for NAS car style racing, left handed circuits only;););)

Our mates run General Grabbers with chunky tread on their 180 T5.1 4motion; a bit noisy but they grip very well.
That's how it should be done.

Yeah perhaps the blacked out steelies add size illusion.... my van is coming in the grey. i did say i would add to it over the coming year or so, but I've already got custom badges in matte black, ordered a side awning....... oh dear.:whistle:

Hi mate, I've done exactly what you're talking about (also grey van!). I've put on 225/70/16 Cooper At3's with standard suspension and I haven't had any rubbing at all. I think that they fit the arch really well. I've mounted them on standard 16inch steelies which I had powder coated black... I can send some more photos if you want a better idea of how they look. In terms of performance, the ride is lovely - they absorb everything. A definite drop of 4 or 5 mpg, and a bit slower off the mark though. IMG_2371_LI.jpg

Hi mate, I've done exactly what you're talking about (also grey van!). I've put on 225/70/16 Cooper At3's with standard suspension and I haven't had any rubbing at all. I think that they fit the arch really well. I've mounted them on standard 16inch steelies which I had powder coated black... I can send some more photos if you want a better idea of how they look. In terms of performance, the ride is lovely - they absorb everything. A definite drop of 4 or 5 mpg, and a bit slower off the mark though. View attachment 5249
Now that IS cool!! :cool:

Hi mate, I've done exactly what you're talking about (also grey van!). I've put on 225/70/16 Cooper At3's with standard suspension and I haven't had any rubbing at all. I think that they fit the arch really well. I've mounted them on standard 16inch steelies which I had powder coated black... I can send some more photos if you want a better idea of how they look. In terms of performance, the ride is lovely - they absorb everything. A definite drop of 4 or 5 mpg, and a bit slower off the mark though. View attachment 5249
thats what im talkng about! can you pm me some pics of how your van looks side on? how much did it cost to powder coat yr steelies mate?

thats what im talkng about! can you pm me some pics of how your van looks side on? how much did it cost to powder coat yr steelies mate?

Ha, glad you like it! :thumbsup: Yeah no worries bud. A local chap grit blasted and powder coated 4 wheels for £160. I think the powder coating made up £120 of that.

Would love some more pics of that. I'm thinking of doing the same on 17" alloys just because that's what I have - my calculations say a 225/65/17 will fill the arch almost exactly the same.

Do you get much road noise from those coopers? They're rated at 72db

Would love some more pics of that. I'm thinking of doing the same on 17" alloys just because that's what I have - my calculations say a 225/65/17 will fill the arch almost exactly the same.

Do you get much road noise from those coopers? They're rated at 72db

Hi mate, if you go on my profile you'll see I've put a few more pics in an album. https://www.t6forum.com/members/butlerjw.813/ Glad people are liking it! I'm loving it!

I've actually been quite surprised with how little extra road noise I get with the Coopers - there is a little more noise but it's not too bad. There's a very low whine when around the 40-50 mark but it's barely noticeable. Saying that, my van's been insulated and I've sound deadened the rear arches so there may be a little more noise if you haven't.

Hello there, I am thinking about wheel and tyre combination for my van. Have you got more pictures and what have you done? What is the ride like?
Cheers

IMG_3456.JPG
Hello there, I am thinking about wheel and tyre combination for my van. Have you got more pictures and what have you done? What is the ride like?
Cheers
I have 235/60/17 tyres which are 3.3% bigger than standard which is around an 11mm increase in radius/ride height/arch filling. (I think it costs me about 2/3mpg, a bit of a guess)
My Vel came with a 20mm suspension drop as standard; and I've fitted 25mm wheel spacers; I'm lightly loaded in this picture so the Vel is a bit higher particularly at the rear
IMG_3040.JPG

Last edited:
Back