Big brakes and spare wheel size

Pewt

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Keep looking at big brakes.........anyone that has them just wondered what spare wheel do you carry that now fits ?

I'm looking at Brembo type but if spare wheel fitment is going to be too much hassle i'll just fit T32 brakes.......off to France next year so a spare is a must.

The solution is (if its a front wheel problem) You fit the spare to the rear, and put the rear wheel on the front.

This is the best and safest setup aswell, as the front wheels do the steering and majority of the braking, so you don't really want a smaller wheel on the front anyway.

Obviously, if you have aftermarket different width wheels front to back, then that is an additional problem you need to fix.

I'm looking at Brembo type but if spare wheel fitment is going to be too much hassle i'll just fit T32 brakes.......off to France next year so a spare is a must.
Can you actually fit bigger brakes than the T32s? & why would you?:thumbsdown:

The solution is (if its a front wheel problem) You fit the spare to the rear, and put the rear wheel on the front.

This is the best and safest setup aswell, as the front wheels do the steering and majority of the braking, so you don't really want a smaller wheel on the front anyway.

Obviously, if you have aftermarket different width wheels front to back, then that is an additional problem you need to fix.
I have to admit that I'd never considered this when choosing my wheel sizes, but it makes perfect sense. I fortunately chose to have 19" 9.5J ET35 all round, and now I'm glad I did as it allows me to swap round as the spare is still the original 17" (with higher profile obvs). I've never seen this highlighted in any of the discussions over wheel/tyre choice - and there's a lot of them!:oops::thumbsup:

Puncture repair kit, same as the one @Dellmassive uses/ recommends.

The above and a decent electric pump. No spare for 20” wheels fits within the spare wheel space so why bother lugging the OEM one around.

Puncture repair kit, same as the one @Dellmassive uses/ recommends.

The above and a decent electric pump. No spare for 20” wheels fits within the spare wheel space so why bother lugging the OEM one around.
I’ve got a tyre string kit, 12V pump and a 17” spare. The repair kit and pump are great until the side wall gets damaged. There maybe little chance of that happening in urban settings but where I live with tight passing spaces in single track lanes there’s a much higher risk.

I have a 18" steel spare under the van.... And sportline alloys (originally).

I have the T32 big brakes.

If you fit a different size spare wheel to a 4Motion, where’s the Haldex fuse that needs to be pulled?

Thanks to @mmi I have written down that it is SC33 which is a 10A. Middle row, fifth from the top. Never know when you might need it…..
best thing is to print out the list and selotape it to the rear of the fuse holder lid then its always on hand if needed in the place you actually need it.
would have been nice for VW to put the list there in the first place!

Have had my swamper wheels and tyres fitted for a while on my T28. Wanted brake upgrade, prior to any remap. Got new (well delivery mileage) disks, calipers, pipes from a T30/32, and fitted nicely, and nice improvement.

Back