jezwold

Good evening all,

I am looking to buy a T6 that has been converted. Currently looking at vans on ‘LKW Campers’ of Oxford which are supplied by ‘Camper King’

Can anyone recommend any similar dealerships so I could broaden my search?

Many thanks

Jez

There is a place on the A5 in Northants near Daventry called Venture Campervans. Looks very similar to LKW, I drive past both regularly.
I guess the issue you are likely to find with any of these type of places is that they buy very basic base vans, at the lower end of performance and fit it out following a pre-set layout, easily replicatable for rapid turnover. This may suit what you want. However it may not offer you the bespoke service of setting your own parameters, own base line van e.g highline etc, engine output, gearbox, colour of roof fabric. You get the picture.
So depending on your circumstances, I.e can you wait to get something that is tailor made to your requirements, which won’t be quick if the converter is a decent one as they will be booked up for months ahead. Or, if it is a case that you’ll happily settle for something that is “good enough”, then you have businesses out there that can cater for either appetite.

We looked at many converters when we were searching for a converter, including Camper King. They were the worst of the worst, run.

I looked at Camper King among many other but went for new in the end with Rolling homes. Wanted the wood, lovely finish. But cost more. Roof is more secure as well with twist buckle locks and not just straps. We just love it. Bobbing along in our camper van!

Good evening all,

I am looking to buy a T6 that has been converted. Currently looking at vans on ‘LKW Campers’ of Oxford which are supplied by ‘Camper King’

Can anyone recommend any similar dealerships so I could broaden my search?

Many thanks

Jez
Hi Jez: Needingworth Campers are very good, also Camper King based with some improvements. Steve there is genuinely helpful and has a good stock: I just bought one from him last Tuesday!

We bought our base T6 Kombi from Great Oak Sales at Kempton as they had a big selection of low mileage vehicles. Then had CMC-Reimo concert but Great Oak also had some CamperKing conversions available. Used vans in Sunbury-On-Thames from Great Oak Sales

Hi there, new to the forum and just looking at getting my 1st Transporter. Came across Great Oak Sales earlier and spoke to Alex down there about a couple of day vans they have modified. Wondering what your experience was with them and if you would recommend ?

Hi Whitty

I can’t comment on Great Oak Sales conversions as we took ours to CMC down in Hythe in Kent as we liked the Multistyle conversion. They did have a couple of Camperking conversions in there but we weren’t interested in looking at them.

In terms of choice of vans and price I was happy with Great Oak. Our T32 Highline LWB Kombi only had 79 miles on the clock and had twin sliders, heated windscreen and heated seats which we wanted. They have a ‘deal’ with VW which means they can’t release the vans till they are six months old. The mileage on our van was basically the delivery from Citygate at Bicester and a few test drives.

The only issue we had was that for some reason Citygate thought I’d also bought another 10 vans as well and so I kept getting multiple texts and emails about services etc. I eventually got Citygate to take me off the list for the wrong vans.

Hope that helps.

Hi Whitty

I can’t comment on Great Oak Sales conversions as we took ours to CMC down in Hythe in Kent as we liked the Multistyle conversion. They did have a couple of Camperking conversions in there but we weren’t interested in looking at them.

In terms of choice of vans and price I was happy with Great Oak. Our T32 Highline LWB Kombi only had 79 miles on the clock and had twin sliders, heated windscreen and heated seats which we wanted. They have a ‘deal’ with VW which means they can’t release the vans till they are six months old. The mileage on our van was basically the delivery from Citygate at Bicester and a few test drives.

The only issue we had was that for some reason Citygate thought I’d also bought another 10 vans as well and so I kept getting multiple texts and emails about services etc. I eventually got Citygate to take me off the list for the wrong vans.

Hope that helps.

All feedback appreciated. Probably going to stay with a standard van fir my 1st one (off to see a T32 150 DSG tomorrow with lots of options) and then either upgrade that or go for custom one 2nd time around.

Give Camper King a wide berth. First one I looked at was at Needingworth Campers. Tyres had incorrect load rating and use budget pop tops. Fitting was quite bad, lots of glue residue on the canvas, inside the cupboards they were not finished properly. Just the overall finish was a poor effort on a 30k van

Give Camper King a wide berth. First one I looked at was at Needingworth Campers. Tyres had incorrect load rating and use budget pop tops. Fitting was quite bad, lots of glue residue on the canvas, inside the cupboards they were not finished properly. Just the overall finish was a poor effort on a 30k van
Good one. I guess not many people would notice tyre ratings. ?

Good one. I guess not many people would notice tyre ratings. ?
I think a lot of people on here would. If the tyres are not load rated the wheels probably aren’t either. If a pro converter can get this wrong then I’d question what other corners are being cut and steer well clear.

However, if this was a second hand van there is a chance the previous owner is responsible for the incorrect tyres rather than the converter??

Go to the NEC at the next Motorhome show. Look at the finished product and see what your budget can stretch too. It will be cheaper to source the van and have it converted.

.... It will be cheaper to source the van and have it converted.
Not necessarily - the bigger outfits you will see at the NEC tend to have bulk buying power and will get vans in at better discounts than you or I could negotiate. They also have good contacts with some of the fleet dealers to source second hand vans.

To throw in a sense of balance to the comments above... I have a Needingworth (Camperking build) Camper. Taken us to some great places and really pleased with it. Yes there are some mis-coloured plastic hinges inside cupboards but you don't see them unless you look for them . All is solid and rattle free on the road. Just changed one of the original tyres (I damaged one clipping a curb edge...doh!). All were correctly rated. Each to their own but we have been pleased with our van.

If your pockets are deep enough, and you want a high-end conversion, then look at Exploria in Brighouse, or Jerba in North Berwick.

Back