Best set up for a week long trip - Drive Away Awning or Roller Awning and a Big Tent

VdubVirgin

VIP Member
Morning,

Love my van and enjoy using it for 2-3 night trips away.... However, this time last year we did a week away in it with a Vango Cove inflatable awning and it was just a little tight for space to be honest. By the time we had removed everything we took down in the Van, the awning just became a dumping ground to give us more space in the van.

Someone suggested a better use of space would be to have pull out awning (with the side panels and maybe a wind break) and a separate large tent... Guess my question is what set up do people think works best?

Cheers.

I've no idea on the size of a Cove but we use a driveway awning (Vango Kela) along with a small (2 person) Quechua 2 Seconds popup tent purely as a place to chuck all the misc. stuff that we inevitably take on even a short trip. There's a bit of a knack to putting it back in the bag but once you get it, it's a matter of a few minutes and to put it up it's just a case of taking it out of the bag, undoing a couple of buckles and letting it go. Even if we're not using the awning, we still take the popup tent as it allows us to empty the van. On our last long trip, it was used every night and most of the time, we didn't even bother pegging it down properly as the weight of all the stuff inside it kept it firmly on the ground. We also had a couple of horrendous rain storms during that trip (including what they called a mini tornado in Normandy) and it never leaked in the slightest. One of these:
20220608_171533.jpg

Last edited:
Morning @VdubVirgin. Everyone has a different "best" set up of course but this suits me and gives loads of extra room for bikes and all the extra the extra camping clutter. It's a Palm Beach awning with a drivaway tailgate awning.

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 09.21.00.png

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 09.21.45.png

I've no idea on the size of a Cove but we use a driveway awning (Vango Kela) along with a small (2 person) Quechua 2 Seconds popup tent purely as a place to chuck all the misc. stuff that we inevitably take on even a short trip. There's a bit of a knack to putting it back in the bag but once you get it, it's a matter of a few minutes and to put it up it just a case of taking it out of the bag, ending a couple of buckles and letting it go. Even if we're not using the an awning, we still take the popup tent as it allows us to empty the van. On our last long trip, it was used every night and most of the time, we didn't even bother pegging it down properly as the weight of all the stuff inside it kept it firmly on the ground. We also had a couple of horrendous rain storms during that trip (including what they called a mini tornado in Normandy) and it never leaked in the slightest. One of these:
Great idea.. Thanks for the advice. Out Cove is a similar size to yours.... also thought about this rear tent

Morning @VdubVirgin. Everyone has a different "best" set up of course but this suits me and gives loads of extra room for bikes and all the extra the extra camping clutter. It's a Palm Beach awning with a drivaway tailgate awning.
Is that tailgate awning attached with a c-rail?

No @Ads_Essex. The flap of the connecting tunnel is just held there with the guys. The tail gate can still be opened and closed inside. The side awning is attached to the multirail slot and sometimes, when not using the tailgate part I've been able, with help, to drive slowly out of it. Then reverse the process on returning.

Back