Sorry they are not best quality. It’s really difficult to get the phone far enough away.
It’s basically a flat piece of board split into 3 (it’s bifold) and carpeted. Then there’s the additional front trim board that slides up to the tie down straps and hides all the canvas and crap and keeps noise out.
Thanks, looks like there's still plenty head room

Thanks, looks like there's still plenty head room
I’m 6’ and when I sit down my head just brushes the frame. If I slouch slightly then I don’t come into contact. But we don’t have a rib bed we have u shaped seating and I set the height accordingly. You need to check the height of your seating.
I’ll do you a floor to roof measurement in a little while if you want.

Quick Question, what is the max wind speed you should use a pop top in? The HiLo especially! as I have been to see Dan today at Visiontechautomotive; and reckon thats the way I am going.

:somersault:

Quick Question, what is the max wind speed you should use a pop top in? The HiLo especially! as I have been to see Dan today at Visiontechautomotive; and reckon thats the way I am going.:somersault:

I suggest getting multiple first-hand word of mouth reviews of the fitter if you’re going for HiLo because it’s critical.

In terms of wind, I don’t know the actual mph number but, in my experience your nerves will give out long before the poptop does and you’ll pull it down because poptops in high wind really do make scary noises.

I suggest getting multiple first-hand word of mouth reviews of the fitter if you’re going for HiLo because it’s critical.

In terms of wind, I don’t know the actual mph number but, in my experience your nerves will give out long before the poptop does and you’ll pull it down because poptops in high wind really do make scary noises.
Thanks t0mb0, I have been to see their workshop's today and saw a van prepped for cutting, a part completed installation and a completed one. Can't fault what I saw with regards quality of workmanship. They are VW approved after market suppliers too. Best bit 10 mins down the road if I have any issues! However I don't expect any.

Quick Question, what is the max wind speed you should use a pop top in? The HiLo especially! as I have been to see Dan today at Visiontechautomotive; and reckon thats the way I am going.:somersault:
Why would you have the pop top up in strong/any winds. Any sort of wind and mine is down as replacing it would cost a fortune. :eek:

Why would you have the pop top up in strong/any winds. Any sort of wind and mine is down as replacing it would cost a fortune. :eek:
In fairness, I can only think of one night we dropped the roof, and then only because the wind direction shifted 90 degrees from behind to the side. That was a F7 and we were right by the shore, so no protection at all.

I didnt say "strong" I just said what speed! :cool:
He was asking about wind speed - not speed. But with 2 18ft sea kayaks on, most of our long journeys will always be at 60 / 70. No issues. No issues at speeds over 70 either. Not that I would, of course. Although it is interesting just how well the 204 performs when asked to.

He was asking about wind speed - not speed. But with 2 18ft sea kayaks on, most of our long journeys will always be at 60 / 70. No issues. No issues at speeds over 70 either. Not that I would, of course. Although it is interesting just how well the 204 performs when asked to.
I know what you mean Mike, seen mine over 110mph without trying (on a track of course) Interested in the fact you have two mahoosive sea kayaks on the roof, we have one that size and two singles. Not sure if I fancy putting two on the pop top. Currently my van is a lwb kombi so with the double seat out the two singles go inside easily. Sadly that option may go when its a camper.

@Adscan. Other then doing some minor damage to the canvas caused by my own stupidity (which was fairly easily repaired), the only problem that I've had wasn't with the roof as such - the little rubber 'spoiler' stuck to the roof of the van in front of the pop top started coming off and as we were on the road down the South of France at the time, I just pulled it off rather than leave it flapping around or stuck down with gaffer tape. When we got home, I called Westdubs for a replacement which they said they would send free of charge but also offered to fit it for me if I wanted to drive to them. Personally, I reckon that's pretty good customer service as it had been on the van for over 2 years by then.

My van is being done by coast to coast campers and they recommended west dubs over some of the other more expensive options. They look well made in the vans I looked at. I went for standard gel coat though as they did say the paint will fade, but I think I will get it protected with a marine ceramic coating.

I had a vanmax fitted in Sept. Myself and Tuffers were in conversation about our choices as I had been to vanmax hq and also to Halifax Camper Conversions.
I’d looked at other brands too and was more impressed with the vanmax. It’s pull tested also.
I love mine. Used it over Xmas a few times and it functioned great. There is zero wind noise-even if you take it up to 100 (which was the first thing I did when I collected it as a test) and I’ve had zero creaks or leaks-and it sits outside in the Yorkshire weather which has been apocalyptic recently.
But best of all it looks brilliant in my opinion.View attachment 101029View attachment 101030View attachment 101031
I contacted Vanmax, as this is the nicest looking LWB pop top i have seen, but sadly they have dropped the LWB and only offer a SWB now....

The search continues.....

AB

Back